Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My entry for ugliest apple of the year

Posted by sharppa z6/PA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 14:17

Please upload pictures of your contestants.

This Rubinette apple falls into the still edible and no bug damage category but has some nice fungus growth and weird coloration. The colorization is from the nylon footie. It might have been in a zip-lock for part of the year but I had real trouble this year with apples burning in the bags.

At least this one will still taste good. I might need to peel it for the kids to eat it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My entry for ugliest apple of the year

I followed the spray program I read about here.On some of my apple trees my apples had the same fungus, maybe a little less. My question to anyone is should I maybe add one more fungus spray for my growing season on Cape Cod massachusetts,

o
RE: My entry for ugliest apple of the year

The spots on the apple skin look like sooty blotch. Caused
by a fungus. The flesh will be fine, just the skin is damaged. This disease is not a big problem for commercial
grower who spray all season with fungicides.

This issue is usually found in orchards where the trees were not pruned enough or the trees were spaced too close
in the row for the rootstock used. The key is keeping the
apples in full sun and dry.

For homegrowers who grow their apples in plastic bags, this
can be more of an issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here