Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem(s) with my pears

Posted by drfugawe z8 OR (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 14:39

I have two pear trees (semi-dwarf) in my yard: a Moonglow, and a Comice - both about 7-8 years old. The Moonglow had never even produced a single blossom (or fruit)until last year when the first single fruit appeared. However, it was covered with very deep surface cracks and skin lesions - this year the tree produced about 8 pears, all of which looked the same as last year's -

The Comice has always produced big nice pears until this year, when it apparently has picked up the same ailment as the Moonglow - it now has fruit that looks much like the Moonglow's fruits - and the numbers of pears has fallen off on the Comice, and they are much smaller than in previous years.

I have sev apple trees, an Asian pear, and a Seckel pear in this same yard - the Seckel and the apples do not seem to have been afflicted with the disease that is attacking the other pears - I do not spray the trees with any chemical sprays, not because I object to them - I just don't spray. I have done some research on the net and from the pics I found, my pears may be afflicted with Phytophthora syringae (leathery fruit rot),but I don't really know - and I have no idea of what I can do to cure whatever it is. ???

Here's a pic of this year's pears - I have more, but from what I see, GW will only allow one pic per post - if that's not true, I'd love someone to tell me how I put multiple pics on one post. Thanks for any responses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem(s) with my pears

Probably the most likely is scab since that is a common pear disease. I have seen apples with scab cracking like that so I expect pears could do it as well. The disease you name is not common (I have never heard of it) and so that lowers the odds a lot that you have it.

Follow up to your own post to add pictures. If you get some error about re-posting just change the subject and it will go thru.

Scott

o

It's scab. Very common in Oregon. You can lessen the degree of damage if you apply appropriate dormant sprays but you won't be able to get rid of the disease.

Here in western OR, if you don't intend to spray any fruit tree you might have, you're basically limited to growing persimmon and fig.

o

You are unfortunate with your pears. There are a half-dozen pear trees within a few blocks of me in SE Portland that are not sprayed and none of them have cracked, scabby pears.

o

I don't know if this is the same scab, or even if it is a scab; but I dormant sprayed my Bartlets twice this winter and still got this. Some of the pears had worms too. Any suggestions?

o

Much appreciation for all your assistance - I'm a novice, and I pretty much was simply going by pictures of pear diseases - and I never say a pic of scab that looked as bad as my Moonglows! So, I didn't think it could be scab. But I will look up some info on a good spray program and begin following it.

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here