Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drfugawe

Problem(s) with my pears

drfugawe
11 years ago

I have two pear trees (semi-dwarf) in my yard: a Moonglow, and a Comice - both about 7-8 years old. The Moonglow had never even produced a single blossom (or fruit)until last year when the first single fruit appeared. However, it was covered with very deep surface cracks and skin lesions - this year the tree produced about 8 pears, all of which looked the same as last year's -

The Comice has always produced big nice pears until this year, when it apparently has picked up the same ailment as the Moonglow - it now has fruit that looks much like the Moonglow's fruits - and the numbers of pears has fallen off on the Comice, and they are much smaller than in previous years.

I have sev apple trees, an Asian pear, and a Seckel pear in this same yard - the Seckel and the apples do not seem to have been afflicted with the disease that is attacking the other pears - I do not spray the trees with any chemical sprays, not because I object to them - I just don't spray. I have done some research on the net and from the pics I found, my pears may be afflicted with Phytophthora syringae (leathery fruit rot),but I don't really know - and I have no idea of what I can do to cure whatever it is. ???

Here's a pic of this year's pears - I have more, but from what I see, GW will only allow one pic per post - if that's not true, I'd love someone to tell me how I put multiple pics on one post. Thanks for any responses.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations