Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hot_roses9

Are these cantaloupes ripe

hot_roses9
10 years ago

I've had some cantaloupes growing in my back yard and the 2 cantaloupes in the picture just came off the vine. I didn't cut them off or anything. The cantaloupes were growing vertically about 2 inches off the ground and they fell off the vine by themselves. They are both small, just a little over 2 pounds and they have some green on them. Are they ripe and ok to eat?
Thanks for your help. This is the first and probably the last time I will ever grow cantaloupes.

Comments (7)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Yes, they are ripe when they separate easily from the vine. They will ripen more off the vine but probably not taste much better.

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

I would probably want to taste them before I decided if I was going to grow them again :)

And if you grow them vertically, supporting the hanging cantelopes with a sling made of old stockings does wonders to hold them in place.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

That's what cantaloupes are supposed to do when ripe. They look just fine and probably taste fine, too.

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

That's what mine looked like this year and they were great!

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

I make sure I can see no more green color through the netting.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

The lopes that slip automatically when ripe are nice as it takes the guess work out of it. If they had been supported they probably would have stayed on a couple more days but still I am sure they are ripe but may still need to soften up a bit on your counter.

• carolync1
    10 years ago

Most netted cantaloupes (muskmelons) slip from the vine when ripe. Flavor is better if water is restricted before ripening. Some cultivars develop a yellow, orange or creamy color under the netting when ripe, some remain green when ripe.

Personally, I prefer not to let typical muskmelons ripen further after slipping. Some netted melons DO NOT slip when ripe and are cut from the vine. And signs for determining ripeness of other melons (honeydews, etc.) vary by cultivar. I think it's nice when seed houses tell you how to determine when the cultivar you are considering is ripe.

p.s.: Melons may slip off the vine early if plants are over-watered while melons are ripening.

This post was edited by carolync1 on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 20:29