Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery solved

Posted by rosefolly Z9/S16 NCal (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 14:51

Seven or so years ago I embarked on the planting of an orchard, the goal being a wide variety of fruit growing in my backyard, something available for fresh eating most of the year. Some of it has succeeded, some has not.

One thing that has always puzzled me was the lack of fruit on my Green Gage plum. I had planted Coe's Golden Drop, another European plum, for cross-pollination. However any fruit that formed (a few did) disappeared from the tree shortly thereafter. Last year in disgust I dug it up. I'm still pulling out rootstock suckers.

Making one of my usual inspections I came across Coe's GD, which I had not yet got around to removing. To my astonishment, it has a dozen small fruits on it. And guess what --- they are apples! No wonder Green Gage never produced any fruit.

Apparently there is both a Coe's Golden Drop apple and a Coe's Golden Drop European plum. My source doesn't carry either of them currently but carried both the year I placed my order (probably 2006 or 2007). I got the wrong one, and embarrassing as it is for me to admit, I simply never notice. We see what we expect to see.

The apple tree, grafted on MM111 (which I also never noticed) is not at all vigorous. I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it. The fruit is very small, almost like a Lady apple, though it has quite a nice snappy, vinous flavor. Like Scarlett O'Hara, I'll think about it tomorrow.

Rosefolly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery solved

Thanks for posting and glad that you got the answer.

Coe's Golden Drop has often got good reviews here. I am very tempted to grow. You may want to buy the real Coe's GD plum. I think Raintree has it.

o
RE: Mystery solved

Well, it would require planting two trees, not only Coe's GD plum but also a second European plum. I'll have to mull it over for a while.

Thanks for the suggestion.

R

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here