Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum Tree losing leaves and browning leaves

Posted by casnavy Greenville SC (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 15:01

One of our 3 year old Plum trees is losing the leaves and/or leaves yellowing with dry brown spots and edges at the top and east side. A nearby large tree was pruned this spring and has let a lot more light (and heat) on this plum. From all the pictures in "What's wrong with my plant" book, the leaves look like they fall under "scorched" or "needs water". The leaves at the bottom of the tree are still green with just a few having some yellowing and brown spots. We are in Greenville SC and had a dry/hot few weeks in July-August, but since then it has rained just about every day. The ground at the roots feels moist. This plum is growing in our "forest garden" with Russian Olives and Chicory growing nearby and around it. There is another plum about 50 yards from this one that has some yellowing and browning dry spots, but not very many. More pictures here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/106952576531950161313/PlumTreeLeaveDropSpotting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum Tree losing leaves and browning leaves

Another picture of the Plum Tree. This is the top where the leaves are dropping

o

The buds in the photo look very mature. American hybrid plums lose their leaves earlier than Japanese plums. What zone are you in. Type in your zone next to your name so we can see.

o

I think we are zone 8. I thought they were buds!

o

Actually, I was wrong, Greenville SC is classified as 7a/7b

o

Fungus of some sort?.....rust? Does not look quite like rust. It will releaf come spring. Next year when you see it start you will have to spray if you want to avoid the early leaf drop.

o

Thanks. What do I spray it with?

o

It looks like a European plum that had too much heat this year. My Euro plums also look pretty ragged now, it was a rough August for them.

Do watch it next year for signs of disease, there may have been some problem earlier. I had aphid problems which helped make my Euro plums ragged this year.

Scott

o

Thanks so much for the info! We will definitely keep an eye on it in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here