Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oregonwoodsmoke

Fuji Apple Harvest

oregonwoodsmoke
13 years ago

This is my first year to get apples on my Fuji.

Right now the apples are crisp and delicious, but they are not coming off the tree easily.

So, question: Do Fuji apples break off the tree easily when they are ripe?

Is it worth it to allow them to fully ripen, or are they at their best before they are fully ripe?

Comments (9)

• alan haigh
    13 years ago

I like them fully ripe and they should snap off easily I think. If they are as sweet as you want them to be then why not eat them now. How dark are the seeds?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    13 years ago

It took me years of fighting the birds to find out mine didn't ripen here until about Nov 1. The flesh gets a fairly dark yellow when really ripe. Agree with hman, if they taste ripe enough to suit, then they must be ripe.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It hadn't occurred to me to check the seeds. Seeds are brown.

Nov, huh? I think I will go and pick most of them and get them into storage and leave some so I can check and see what happens to them as the weeks go by.

I'm just afraid to lose them if I wait too long. My mystery inherited tree has great fruit this year but it hangs on the tree about 30 minutes when it gets ripe. As soon as it is ready, it is off the tree and it's tender, so when it drops, it bruises. I've lost a bunch of them.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just picked the Fujis. They are snapping off the tree today.

• Axel
    13 years ago

How can you already get fujis? Mine don't ripen until then end of October. All sorts of varieties are ripening for me right now but fuji is not one of them.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Axel, everything is out of whack this year. Grapes are early, Asian pears are late, peaches were early, apricots were late.

I've already picked half my Bosc pears and they shouldn't be ready for another month.

We had freezes as late as June 15th and the apples and pears bloomed late. So they matured fruit extra fast this year.

I missed most of my grapes, thinking they wouldn't be ripe for another month. The birds got all but half a bucket of them, and the ones I did save were fully ripe. I'd only peeked under the leaves to see how many bunches were coming along and all I saw was empty stems.

• Scott F Smith
    13 years ago

My Fujis are just getting to ripe now, I am surprised yours are already there. I mainly use the color as a guide. I greatly prefer them completely ripe so I let them hang as long as I can. Its a pretty good apple if let to hang.

Scott

• oregonwoodsmoke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Scot, how long can you allow them to hang on the tree?

Not that I would have dared to leave mine any longer than necessary. The birds were really going after them.

This is the worst year for birds that I've ever seen. They must be starving,. They are attacking fruit they've never bothered before and going after it long before it is even thinking about getting ripe.

• Scott F Smith
    13 years ago

I go by the color of the skin, they are whitish in the background when not ripe and get just a touch yellowish as they ripen. I don't remember the exact colors but when I am there staring at my tree I have a pretty good memory.

I am harvesting some apples early this year due to extensive bird damage. Overall I have never had more non-moth/curc damage on my apples than this year, every critter is after them from birds and bees to deer and squirrels.

Scott