Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting Blueberries, burbs of Philly

Posted by stake 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 15:14

All:

A friend wants to clear out his blueberry patch and has offered me as many plants as I wish....both highbush and lowbush varities...(exact types unknown)...Can anyone offer suggestions on when/how to accomplish this? These all seem to be mature plants. Thanks in advance for any advise.

regards
TE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting Blueberries, burbs of Philly

You will want to move them when the bushes are dormant, late winter very early spring when the ground thaws.

You will want to prepare the bed they are going to soon...it will be easier than in the spring when things are so wet.

You will want to mix pine fines (purple bag at walmart called pine mulch) and sphagnum peat moss 50/50 and plant in to that. Figure a bag of fines per plant.

You will want to cut the top of the plants back by 50% when planting them.

Don't allow any fruit the first year.

Make sure the plants stay moist but not soaking wet always.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here