Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What color are Pink Lady Apples now?

Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 15:18

I have a tree that I thought was a Pink Lady (that's what a bought and planted). This year is the first one that it produced any fruit and at this point in the season, all the apples are yellow. I know it's a late season apple and I probably have over 2 months to go, but is it normal for a Pink Lady to be yellow now?

Thanks,
Bart

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What color are Pink Lady Apples now?

Mine are green last I looked. It doesn't sound like Pink Lady to me.

Scott

o

I agree with Scott, that's not likely Pink Lady. In this climate they are still green and I don't harvest until Dec 1 unless we face a hard freeze sooner.

o

Do you have a photo?

Carla in Sac

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 7:48

Thanks folks!

Green, yellow what's the difference?!?! Seriously though, I have some color blindness and often get shades of colors wrong. I'll recheck the color and post a photo next week (I can only get to my trees on the weekend).

Based on the comments, I bet it is a Pink Lady and I just didn't inspect the color good enough. The one thing I'm sure of is they are not red/orange/pink or anything in that color range. I was expecting them to be more of their "true" color by now and that fact that none of you have red Pink Ladys now is a relief.

o

Mine are green, too, and I'm in S. California, where everything ripens pretty fast. And, they don't look near ready, still smallish. Photos are always helpful.

Patty S.

o

Mine are pinking up pretty good now. One of the draw backs to Pink-Lady is it takes a couple of years for the tree to bare apples with good flavor. The first year they were kind of tasteless. My sample apple was good but still not there. Maybe next year.

o

I am pretty close to your climate zone, perhaps the same one. Mine are still kind of small and green. Mine are first year fruit, so we'll see how they turn out. Ted

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here