Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Meyer Lemon w/problems

Posted by sooz z9/So Cal (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 15:25

Attached is a photo taken today of our dwarf Meyer lemon tree in southern CA.

We've had it for about 2 years, maybe 3 years. As you will see inside the circled areas, the fruit has areas of brown on them, and the leaves are not exactly healthy looking.

We have clay soil, had a different Meyer lemon around the same area but it died after about 25 years. We know how to dig a big enough hole, check for drainage (clay soil, y'know), amend and plant correctly. Last year, there were no issues with this lemon tree or it's fruit.

We're careful about water and things, and we use a product specifically for citrus--the same thing we used with the other tree.

Please advise. Thanks!
Smiles,
Sooz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Meyer Lemon w/problems

Go to the citrus forum. There is a really nice man there his name is Meyermike! He helped me a great deal with my Meyer lemon, he will be able to help you as well. Mrs. G

o

• Posted by sooz z9/So Cal (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 2:04

Thanks, MrsG47 !

Smiles,
Sooz

o

That tree and fruit is sunburnt beyond crisp. Either the roots are having major issues or you are not watering enough. The soil looks awfully dry.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 18:49

Yeah, the tree looks pretty fried. I usually have a few fully exposed lemons that get scorched like that in our blazing heat, but for the most part a healthy tree will have enough foliage to shade most of the lemons.

I would remove all of the lemons at this point and try to save the tree. You may need to water it a bit more and provide some partial shade until the tree bounces back. Hold back on the fertilizer until you start to see a growth flush in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here