Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sickler Pear?

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 15:34

I had a very interesting experience about a week ago. At my local fruit stand and nursery outlet here by my house in N. San Diego county, they had a small basket of the tiniest pears I've ever seen. I mean REALLY small, no larger than 2 inches. They looked truly like teeny miniature pears. They were calling them "Sickler" pears. Not Sekel, but Sickler. They were blushed like a Sekel, but about 1/8 the size. Sekel pears are also more roundish in shape, and these teensy pears had a more typical pear shape. They were soft like a European pear and very delicious. Has anyone ever heard of this pear? I'm going to stop back by this week, when the main gal is working, to ask her where they get the pears from. Besides being very cute, and would make really great gift pears, they were actually very delicious. I only got to eat one of them, my hubby snarfed up the other 5.

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sickler Pear?

Patty,

I have five Seckel pears in the fridge and the largest is just under 2". Are you thinking of Comice? I've never seen a Seckel over 2" and if the ones you normally get are 1/8 the size of a Seckel... That would be about a quarter of an inch lol.

o

Here's a photo of my Sekel pear on my Sekel tree:

Photobucket

Granted, I only have one pear, but it's still a very young tree, so I imagine future pears will be about this size. This pear is nearly ripe (didn't break off the stem and fall into my hand, however, when I lifted up the pear, maybe another week or two, but don't imagine it will get any bigger at this point.) This is about the size I'm familiar with, with the Sekel. Sometimes they're be a bit rounder, but mine look like they'll be more of a classic pear shape. Yes, Comice are rounder, too, but so is the Sekel, usually. These little "Sickler" pears were about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of my Sekel pear. That's how tiny they were. About the size of a Meiwa kumquat to give you a better size comparison. If I can get a few more, I'll snap a photo of them and post them. And, I'm going to see if I can actually contact the grower and get a clarification of the name of the pear. They could be Sekels, just maybe from a tree that had a very heavy crop and wasn't thinned, I suppose. I have just never seen a pear this tiny. I mean really tiny. About the size of a 50 cent piece. They did taste a lot like a Sekel for sure, just melt in your mouth sweet.

Patty S.

o

Okay, did a little perusing on the Internet. Looks like the Seckel (sorry for the typo previously) can be this tiny. So, I'm guessing they were indeed, SECKEL pears, and not "Sickler". I'm going to the Farmer's Market this Saturday, so I suspect I'll see some there, since it is "Seckel time" right now. I have had Seckels in gift baskets, so I'm betting that I had grade 1 super large ones, and not the more average size. And, maybe if I'm lucky, my future Seckels will be this large as well! We'll have to see. Checking this little pear every day to see if it's ready.

Patty S.

o

I have seen the tiny Seckels here at the farmers market. They were delicious.

Squirlz got the few my tree set this year.

Scott

o

That's why these must have been, Scott. Just an older tree or orchard that wasn't thinned, thus created really miniature pears. They were SO cute, oh my gosh. I am envisioning all kinds of crazy cute desserts with a bunch of these little pears. Too bad I'm trying to drop about 20 lbs, lol!! So far, the squirrels have not found this lone Seckel pear on my tree. It's still not quite ripe - the background color of the skin is still too green, but, it's been ungodly hot here in N. San Diego county (it's 90 today, I'm just melting), so stuff is ripening super fast. So, I'm watching it every day. It's my only pear this season, since my trees are still very young. Hopefully, I will get to eat this pear. I'm considering not splitting it with my hubby, since he snarfed down all the little Seckels I bought save one. I think this one will be just for me :-)

Patty S.

o

I have a tree full of these pears. I do not intend to use them either for eating (they are as hard as nails) or bottling. Am trying to give them away at the farmers market in February.
If anyone wants them they are freely given.
I am going to plant an eating pear tree this winter.

o

Seckel pears are a delicious eating pear and the reason they can be very small is that growers can't be bothered thinning them. They set very reliably and much too heavily, although unlike other types of fruit, they still get up the sugar even when left unthinned. Thinned they can obtain about half the size of an average Bartlett.

Those extra small ones were probably not only not thinned but not irrigated either.

They are probably the most difficult pear I grow to keep the squirrels from so you better put your trap right on the tree, Scott.

o

I once read that Seckel pears are the only American-origin pears that the French relish and praise.

o

Seems doubtful many French have tasted a range of American pears. Most Americans have only tasted French ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here