Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnewbienyc

Asian 20th century pear

fruitnewbienyc
9 years ago

Hi All,

Just bought a potted asian pear. I know as an active reader of this forum, I probably should not buy fruit tree this time of year. But I really can not resist the deep discount and did it anyway. It looks relatively healthy.

According to the label, it's a lecooke EZ-Pick asian pear (apple pear, 20th century) on OHxF333 rootstock.
It probably a bare-root tree being potted at local nursery this late spring?

1. When should I plant it again to ground or large container? Wait until it's dormant and plant it next spring?
2. Is Asian pear on OHxF333 fire blight resistent?
3. Somehow the pear is still growing the new shoots (see photo) in mid September. Is it normal? Is this an open invitation to fire blight?

Thanks in advance

Alex

Comments (9)

• fireballsocal
    9 years ago

My 20th century here in Southern California jus put on an immense show of growth after puttering along all spring so yes, I'd say your tree putting out shoots is normal. I'll let one of the more knowledgeable forum members comment on planting practices and fire blight resistance.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

I would plant it late fall. Then you get the ground warmth on the roots over the winter. You can actually plant it any time including now - its potted.

Scott

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

I planted my bare root 20th Century in 2008. I did not know enough about rootstock then so I did not keep a record. I got it from Burntridge. It could be OHxF 333 at the time.

It's got a few fire blight on tips a year or two but nothing serious. However, last year, one of the lower branches got what I believe to be blossom blight the whole branch (several feet long). I have not sprayed it with anything yet.

It has set fruit by year 3 and set so many fruit every year. Last year I did not thin enough. It became biennial this year!!!

Fruit is on a smaller side, beautiful pale yellow. Taste is mild; some crunch, mildly sweet. It's not bad so I keep the tree.

Pear trees tend to send shoots/branches straight up. You need to spread them out when shoots are still young and easy to bend. My tree spreads out nicely. I topped the central lead off to keep it short.

• fruitnewbienyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions..

Alex

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I would plant it asap. If it is sending out shoot above it will send roots in the soil- both events are most active at the same time. This will give you a jump start on next years growth as long as you don't let the potting soil dry out. Keep the potting soil exposed so water doesn't run around it.

That variety especially needs good sun to develop full sugar- at least here in NY.

• fruitnewbienyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks harvestman..

Alex

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

I planted mine in fall 2011 (I also say "plant now") and this is the first significant crop (I got 2 last year). I've picked more than half the tree so far, but it still has quite a few left (around a dozen maybe).

It is supposed to be ripe in August, but mine still aren't fully ripe, if the seeds need to be completely black. They are only 80% dark, but since the pears tastes great, I've been picking them anyways. They've gotten rave reviews by my family and a few Asian co-workers. While I'm not as impressed, they seem pretty good to me, even at 12-13 brix. This year it has given me a better yield than any of my apple trees, so even if Asian pears aren't my favorite, I'm glad I've got it.

My tree gets some shade in the morning and a bit in the early afternoon at this time of year, but had more sun in early summer. So, it may have delayed ripening a bit.

This picture was taken earlier this morning.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

Where I live in Central MA, 20 th Century ripens around second week of Sept. I pick mine from around Sept 10 - 20. Squirrels like them,too.

They probably prefer 20th C to Korean Giant since the fruit are smaller and easier to steal and run.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I think they like them both equally and often take KG's long before they get big and ripe.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio