Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
branches "cut" off apple tree

Posted by mom2d1s 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 16:25

We have a very old and overgrown apple tree that I love to watch the birds eat from, let the deer enjoy as well. Curious though as to what is "cutting" the upper branches right from the tree. We have noticed some dead pieces that at first we assumed had snapped due to the weight of the apples. But looking at the end, it is a clean, smooth "cut". Now I am noticing many fresh ones as well. The pieces are from main branches that are much to high for deer or rabbits - anywhere from 12' or higher. Strange also because it is only happening in one tree - we have 3 others nearby.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: branches "cut" off apple tree

Picture? How big are the branches? Do you have any nearby neighbors that have a reason for wanting those branches gone? It seems very curious indeed!

o

Likely a porcupine.

o

Raccoons are a possibility. They go on a feeding round as family. They climb fruit trees and break branches because they are heavy and sometime can go in two on a branch.
I just removed my sweet&Sour cherry because it was full of cherries and disfigured by raccoon because of broken branches, big and small, as they kept coming night after night. It ws the 2nd year of this problem so I removed the mishaped tree.

o

Squirrels do a lot of pruning.

o

Porcupine! I'll bet, as it wasn't broken but "cut". Porkies can do a lot of damage, and have no problem at all climbing. Good call, Bucky.

o

Awesome (note the sarcasm)! Now we need to be cautious since my older dog is determined to conquer the porcupine population.... marknmt- I would have preferred a neighbor! I had NO idea that porcupines climbed trees but thinking about it, the majority of the branches are thick. UGH!

o

Sure they can (pick & paste)

http://www.appleman.ca/korchard/porky1.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXr7S3MbAaE

This post was edited by ottawan_z5a on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 12:36

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here