Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Catawba Grape Vines

Posted by jardineratx 9tx (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 16:28

I purchased two Catawba Grape Vines this week. The vines are large and healthy and I want to plant them properly and train them along t-posts and smooth wire. It's my understanding that grapes are pruned in late winter here in Texas, but does that mean that when I plant them this week, I do no pruning at all? I will place a post where each vine is planted so that I can tie the vine to it for future training. Is this the right course of action?

thank you,
Molly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Catawba Grape Vines

Your goal is to fill your trellis with permanent cordons. There probably isn't enough time this year to do this. You have two choices- begin training now thru dormancy and continue in 2014 OR cut down to two buds at dormancy and start 2014 with a new trunk and start training anew.

o

Thank you so much for your response to my question flatwoods. I am in southeast Texas and we have a long growing season, usually with our first frost in late November/early December, so I think I will start the training now. I understand that I would prune to two buds to start the training, right?
Molly

o

You mean two buds at ground level? Wait until Xmas to cut it. You need all the energy this year's leaves provide.

o

Thanks again for your advice. I will hold up on the initial pruning.
Molly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here