Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krazy_in_florida

Chosing the right apple in Zone 9

Krazy-in-Florida
10 years ago

I am wanting to plant 3 more apple trees this winter. I live 20 miles north of Pensacola, FL on the norther gulf coast. I planted a Pink Lady, Gala, and Fuji this past year and the Pink Lady died abruptly.

I want to plant 3 more, what's the best for my area?

Comments (6)

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

Anna will grow in your climate and often produces more than once a year

• rayrose
    10 years ago

Century Farm Orchards in Reidsville, NC sells many apples that do well in the south. I've bought many trees from them and have been very pleased with them. David Vernon, who owns the farm, is very knowledgeable and a very nice man. He gave me many ideas and suggestions, when I started my orchard.

• insteng
    10 years ago

A few more that should grow in your area are Dorsett Golden, Granny Smith, and Ein Shemer. The Ein Shemer was developed in Isreal and they are supposed to be good down to zone 10.

• bejay9_10
    10 years ago

I'm a California zone 10 - and have several that are doing quite nicely.

The Ein Sheimer was a big disappointment, but perhaps will give it another year. The apples looked more like crab apples, but it is supposed to pollinate several others that I have.

The Golden Dorsett is similar to the Delicious Golden standard tree - but I find the taste a little bit better - more tart and juicy. It is suffering a bit from what appears to be apple rust, but I sprayed early with some baking soda and water spray and am very religious about picking off leaves that appear infected. It is doing well now.

The Anna gave nice yield - it's second year, and looking healthy. This is a semi-dwarf - and hope to keep it so.

I also have a Beverly Hills - which has nice fruit and good for apple sauce - reports that it is a favorite in California zone 10, for some time. Also a semi-dwarf.

One Fuji - looks to be a standard - tho pruned the central leader back, in hopes of controlling growth. This may not have enough chill hours for my climate, but has produced several nice fruit, and hopefully, it will adjust to my warm climate, as most fruit recommendations are for 200-300 chill hours which I can rarely give.

The last, recently planted is a Pink Lady - recommend hrs. 400-500, but a gift, and so far doing well as far as growth.

You may be interested in checking on-line, the Bay Laurel Nursery website. I just received my catalog. They don't keep there trees in for too long, however. The information they have on-line is very good. I recommend it.

bejay

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Anna Apple! I am in zone 9, and Wow! We are buying 2 more trees bare root! This apple is so delicious, you have never tasted anything like it fresh, and in pies, it holds up, and you will be beyond compliments! Just make sure you use lard in your pie crust! Delicious!!

• megamav
    10 years ago

I've read that Newtown Pippin is low chill.
    It would be perfect for a long growing season.
    I cant grow it to perfection here in NY, you should!

-Eric