Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chosing the right apple in Zone 9

Posted by Krazy-in-Florida none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 16:31

I am wanting to plant 3 more apple trees this winter. I live 20 miles north of Pensacola, FL on the norther gulf coast. I planted a Pink Lady, Gala, and Fuji this past year and the Pink Lady died abruptly.

I want to plant 3 more, what's the best for my area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chosing the right apple in Zone 9

Anna will grow in your climate and often produces more than once a year

o

Century Farm Orchards in Reidsville, NC sells many apples that do well in the south. I've bought many trees from them and have been very pleased with them. David Vernon, who owns the farm, is very knowledgeable and a very nice man. He gave me many ideas and suggestions, when I started my orchard.

o

A few more that should grow in your area are Dorsett Golden, Granny Smith, and Ein Shemer. The Ein Shemer was developed in Isreal and they are supposed to be good down to zone 10.

o

I'm a California zone 10 - and have several that are doing quite nicely.

The Ein Sheimer was a big disappointment, but perhaps will give it another year. The apples looked more like crab apples, but it is supposed to pollinate several others that I have.

The Golden Dorsett is similar to the Delicious Golden standard tree - but I find the taste a little bit better - more tart and juicy. It is suffering a bit from what appears to be apple rust, but I sprayed early with some baking soda and water spray and am very religious about picking off leaves that appear infected. It is doing well now.

The Anna gave nice yield - it's second year, and looking healthy. This is a semi-dwarf - and hope to keep it so.

I also have a Beverly Hills - which has nice fruit and good for apple sauce - reports that it is a favorite in California zone 10, for some time. Also a semi-dwarf.

One Fuji - looks to be a standard - tho pruned the central leader back, in hopes of controlling growth. This may not have enough chill hours for my climate, but has produced several nice fruit, and hopefully, it will adjust to my warm climate, as most fruit recommendations are for 200-300 chill hours which I can rarely give.

The last, recently planted is a Pink Lady - recommend hrs. 400-500, but a gift, and so far doing well as far as growth.

You may be interested in checking on-line, the Bay Laurel Nursery website. I just received my catalog. They don't keep there trees in for too long, however. The information they have on-line is very good. I recommend it.

bejay

o

Anna Apple! I am in zone 9, and Wow! We are buying 2 more trees bare root! This apple is so delicious, you have never tasted anything like it fresh, and in pies, it holds up, and you will be beyond compliments! Just make sure you use lard in your pie crust! Delicious!!

o

I've read that Newtown Pippin is low chill.
It would be perfect for a long growing season.
I cant grow it to perfection here in NY, you should!

-Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here