Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windfall_rob

fall fruit damage from SWD

windfall_rob
10 years ago

SWD did a tough number on us back in august with the end of the blueberries. with alot of sweet juicy stuff still coming I was pretty worried...well...

Fall raspberries: Hammered, no surprise here. Total loss of crop unless your willing to pick them way to early.

Swenson red and sommereset seedless grapes: did well, there were tons of flies in them, but they appeared to only infest berries damaged by wasps and yellowjackets, easily thinned out at harvest. I was worried as these guys are relatively thin skinnned.

Stuben, bluebell, niagra grapes: all well so far....noticably less wasp damage as well (so far). skins so tough not too worried.

hybrid plums: also did pretty well, again lots of flies present, but only attacking fruit that was split or torn by wasps.

pommes: I am seeing no flies or evident damage

all told I find this encouraging. My biggest concern now is how early they may start showing up in the future. I can easily see the rest of the blueberry crop coming under risk...and that would mean cherries as well. I hope strawberries and summer raspberries remain clear of risk period.
I am pretty sure that black currants were the first crop that got infested this year.

Comments (7)

• ericwi
    10 years ago

Our raspberries were infested with SWD in August, and into September. But they are beginning to become scarce. It must be the weather-we have had several nights in the 40's, and daytime highs in the low 70's. We also have blueberries, but they were not affected by SWD. The blueberry season runs from about July 15 to about August 1, and the fruit flies had not yet arrived in our neighborhood. I don't think that I can count on being this lucky next year.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

A currant fruitfly attacks the black currant (that ripens earlier than most other fruits); perhaps this, rather than SWD, was present in your case.

• windfall_rob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Larry,
    That's possible but I don't think so. From the little I just read on the currant fly the symptoms don't fit. No premature drop or early color change, and no larva anywhere near the size shown/described.
    What we saw was many berries developing a soft spot with slight discoloration as they reached full ripe. Then when opened you could see their was a regional breakdown of the flesh, with the purple skin pigmentation bleeding in.
    At the time I thought it was a fungal issue....the weather would have promoted that for sure. But in retro spect I think it was the start of our mew swd season.

• uglyapple
    10 years ago

SWD is a huge topic of conversation during every small fruit growing seminar that I attend in NC. From what I can tell the entire fruit growing industry in my state is worried about potential growth of SWD.

Cornell has an excellent chart listing possible chemical controls and their effectiveness for the state of NY.
    http://www.fruit.cornell.edu/spottedwing/pdfs/BerrySWDinsecticidemanagement.pdf

Be sure to check the specific registrations for your state. In NC most commercial growers of Blackberries spray forJapanese Beetles and June Bugs and the same chemicals that control these pests also control SWD

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

I've been seeing less SWD damage in my raspberries over the last week. I'm not sure if it is the colder weather, or my efforts at manual control (pick and smush...) paying off. So far (knock on wood), I haven't seen them in any other fruit, except elderberries, which are long done for the year.

Raspberry observations:
    Anne- It is least impacted by SWD and I am becoming more and more impressed with them. They are by far the most flavorful of the raspberries, even when comparing slightly under-ripe Anne with a fully ripe red raspberry. In fact, the slightly under-ripe have a nice kick to them. They also are in their main season at this point, with lots ripening.

Autumn Britten- I remember these being my favorites last year. Maybe it is better during the summer, from the floricanes. It is pretty tasteless now (even a few which got quite ripe) and was heavily hit by SWD. After eating a few, I go looking for an Anne or Prime Jan blackberry, just to get some flavor. I'll give these another year to see if the summer berries are much better, as I vaguely recall.

Caroline- It sweetens up a bit faster than the other reds, so it isn't bad at the just ripening stage. But, I haven't gotten a good yield from either of my 2 Caroline patches and am taking one out. It has been done fruiting for the last week.

Prelude- In between Caroline and Autumn Britten in terms of flavor. Stands out in terms of productivity (lots, spread over a long season). These are worth keeping, just for the early summer crop.

Autumn Bliss- Productive, but pretty bland. Good sized berries. I'm taking them out for muscadine grapes.

• plumhillfarm
    10 years ago

Hello, We had significant damage to our plum crop by SWD in August, effecting both European and Japanese varieties. The symptoms are oozing from ripe fruit, and when you look, there is a spot about 4mm wide with 1-10 holes through the skin where the eggs were deposited. Most effected were Alderman and Jefferson (old variety European prune, very sweet). The damage dropped off around the beginning of Sept, with little damage over the last 2 weeks. Not much you can do about it beside heavily sort before sale.

Eric

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

I think the low temperature for SWD activity is in the 60's.