Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I plant next to my burgundy plum?

Posted by fresnogardengal none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 16:41

So I currently have a two year old burgundy plum tree that has yet to produce. I'm planning on planting another fruit tree next to it this winter. I would like to plant something that will be pollinated by the burgundy. I'm thinking of another Japanese plum or a hybrid. A friend suggested trying a Shiro or a Pluerry Sweet Treat but that was only from reading their descriptions online. I live in the Central Valley of California so low chill varieties are best. Could I get some recommendations based on your experiences? Great taste and high producers would be preferred. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I plant next to my burgundy plum?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 16:56

Pluots and Japanese will benefit most from Burgandy pollen. My favorites that are heavy producers are Flavor King, Flavor Grenade, Geo Pride, and Flavor Finale. I had a small crop of Sweet Treat this year. It will be a heavy producer but the fruit was 10-20% the size of a real plum/pluot. The taste was nothing special.

Flavor Grenade is the heaviest producer but I spend hours thinning the fruit. I don't know what it would be like unthinned. Probably a badly broken tree.

Flavor King on the other hand has always set a good crop for me with little or no thinning needed. It also probably has the best flavor.

o

In that case, Sweet Treat doesn't seem worth it to me. Maybe a Flavor Grenade is the way to go! Any other opinions?

o

my favorite is Satsuma. Deep purple flesh...very sweet.

o

Shiro would be a terrific treat, as it has an amazing flavor, but you also get the benifit of the yellow color next to your burgundy.

o

Plant a flavor finale pluot: absolutely delicious.

Or a Mariposa plum: Low-chill, very sweet and juicy; I have one at home.

o

I agree with Fruitnut. Once you've tried a Flavor King, not much else stands a chance. If you're looking for one tree, the FK is it. Sooooooo gooooood!

o

I wonder if flavor king pluot has some peach in its ancestry; according to Dave Wilson Nursery Geo Pride has peach in its ancestry, and according to the patents, both pluots originated from the same parents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here