Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Morris Burton' persimmon

Posted by shane11 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 16:53

Does anyone know if 'morris burton' fruits need to set or age any to lose astringency once they drop from tree? My tree has fruited this year and the fruits are very sweet compared to many others, slightly smaller sized, wonderful flavor and dark orange red BUT everyone I have picked up and tasted has left a very slight astringent taste. I do not find this trait with early golden, yates, john rick, or ruby. I am wondering if this is simply a normal trait for this variety or if others have experienced this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Morris Burton' persimmon

Shane,

I had a seedling of Morris Burton called MB #3. It is suppose to taste better and bigger than it's parent MB. I hope to get some fruit in a year or two. I think Benny had a morris burton but he did not like it for some reason. Hopefully he can tell you more.

Tony

o
RE: 'Morris Burton' persimmon

Shane

I topworked my Morris Burton. They tasted ok, but were small due to being seedless, and I think hung on the tree very well and extras long time because they did not weigh enough to fall off. I have tasted larger seeded Morris Burton at Jerry Lehman's, and what I liked about them was the total lack of astringency. On other trees I would slowly bite into each one to check for astringency, but on MB I could just go along and eat them without any concern of getting a bad one.

Benny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here