Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crabapple tree with large apples - which one?

Posted by dancinglemons 7+ (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 16:54

Hello all,

When my son was stationed in Newport RI there were crabapple trees on base that had large apples. These crabapples were about the size of golf balls. Those crabapples made fantastic jelly. Every time I went to visit I picked a large bag full of crabapples. All of the crabapples around here (Central Virginia) are the small size of bing cherries. Can someone tell me the name of a crabapple that has large apples?? Preferably the tree will be semi-dwarf or dwarf. Thanks.

DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crabapple tree with large apples - which one?

There are several that have fruit golf-ball sized or a bit larger. Whitney, Chestnut are two good ones that I've grown. And, while TECHNICALLY not a crabapple (I guess, I don't really know what the technical definition is, other than a small apple, somewhat bitterish/astringent and sour) which I think is great for things like jelly and pickled apples is Pink Pearl.

Check out Raintree Nursery for the Pink Pearl as well as their selection of crabapples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raintree Nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here