Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joleneakamama

Beren Rosen and other rare scion wood from NY repository

Joleneakamama
9 years ago

Hello folks...sorry about the typo that is the Berner Rosen.
After reading about this variety I though to graft it, but have been unable to find scion wood for sale. I also heard there was a chance if I did find it, it wouldn't be the real thing.
Then I read of folks ordering rare varieties from the national repository in NY. Has anyone here "requested" germplasm from them?

It sounds simple enough. I understand priority are those doing research, or people using it for educational purposes, but if it is not available otherwise you can get it there.

Thoughts or suggestions anyone?

This post was edited by Joleneakamama on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 17:06

Comments (7)

• greyphase
    9 years ago

Just sent in my order last night. In the intended use of material box I wrote: To study fireblight resistant apples and crabapples for homestead use. Results will be announced on my blog and various internet boards. This is my first attempt at obtaining scion from GRIN. Will post if I'm successful.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

I have gotten wood from them in the past, but more recently I have been able to get the wood from other places so its been quite a few years. Generally they should be last resort, not for common varieties you can get from standard scionwood sources.

I had Berner Rosen til a few years ago. It produced some bland and boring apples for me so I got rid of it.

I got it from Axel. According to him the one the ARS has might not be the correct variety -- look on the cloudforest description for more on that.

Scott

• Joleneakamama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I understand it is not just to get free stuff or material you could get elsewhere.
    I have not yet found a source for Berner Rosen, Golden Nugget, Rosemary Russet, or James Grieve.

If anyone has these I would be more then happy to buy them from a non govt. source.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jolene

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Jolene, by all means order from them if you don't find them elsewhere.

I have an apple called Golden Nugget that I got from Botner. Its a fantastic apple. It russets completely for me but otherwise seems similar to pictures of Golden Nugget I have seen. I can send you wood this winter, just send me an email in Feb/Mar.

Scott

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

Cummins has had Golden Nugget and James Grieve in the past. They don't offer everything every year. Just shoot them an email. It's possible they will have them for 2016.

They also say they can custom graft just about anything.

P.S. I love this them! Their trees are always awesome.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cummins Nursery

• murkwell
    9 years ago

Over the past 10 years or so I've gotten material from at least 4 different USDA germplasm repositories. They each have their own processes and rules.

If you interested in relieving some of the burden from these underfunded resources and have your own Fedex shipping account (you can sign up online with a credit card for one), you can provide the number and allow them to ship it to you at your expense.

• Joleneakamama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scott, I really appreciate it, and will certainly contact you this winter. Many thanks!

milehighgirl I enjoyed looking over the cummins site, but I really don't want more trees until after the 45 we have fruit, and we decide what we like. Right now I just want to test varieties.

Thanks for the input murky. I did see that was a requirement (the fed ex account) it seemed like a very reasonable way of holding their expenses down.

Big thanks to everyone who commented. I really appreciate you all taking the time to share those bits of aggravation saving wisdom.