Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mirendajean

Anyone heard of the Plum Tree "Glory"?

Hey guys. I hope you cam help. I'm an American girl in Ireland. I purchased two healthy looking "Glory" plum trees in my local Homebase (like Home Depo without the lumber yard).

I can't seem to find much information on this variety and the accompanying tag was light on detail.

I'm new to fruit trees (purchased 3 apple & 2 plums this year) and would like to know as much as possible about this variety.

Thanks!
M

Comments (5)

• Charlie
    10 years ago

This was taken off of a web site about the Glory plum tree. "An excellent dwarf variety which produces a good yield of deliciously sweet, red plums with yellow flesh from September. Eat them fresh from the tree or cooked in puddings, pies and jam. Perfect for growing in containers in a sunny spot on the patio or border.

This excellent dwarf tree is ideal for any sunny patio, balcony or planting in a small garden. Grafted to a dwarf rootstock, it's slow growing and remains at a manageable, compact size that's proportionate to the pot that you plant it in."

Approximate height after 4-5ft/1.2-1.5m tall

• mirendajean (Ireland)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Charlie. My tag says "self Fertile" but nothing else. I popped them in a 10gallon pot. I've the two "Glory"s. Do I need another variety of plum to increase yields?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

You don't need another variety, but it would increase yield. I would get one. But Japaense plums don't help Euro plums. Looks Japaenese. I'm not sure what you have? You can keep any plum small by prunning, but it is difficult they want to grow and grow!. Seems like a cultivar only sold in Europe. If you have a good private nursery/gardens near by, you could ask them what to get, how to grow etc.

• mirendajean (Ireland)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Drew. I phoned our local nursery but they havnt heard of this variety. I rang Homebase's garden section to no joy.

How do I tell if its an Asian or European tree?

Alas (insert fetching feminine sigh here), I may just be obsessive - I prefer to have oodles of Information about any edible I grow. I love to know the quirks of a particular plant/tree.

I've been reading up on growing fruit trees. The information on the tag that came with with tree doesn't line up with what I've learned about Plums. (Homebase is notorious for thier generic plant labels). Also,. I think Glory will be bigger than the tag says...

{{gwi:124266}}

{{gwi:124267}}

{{gwi:124268}}

{{gwi:124269}}

I'm really excited about these trees and appriciate input.

M

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

That is almost certainly a European plum variety, not Japanese. The last paragraph on the tag is correct - better pollination and more fruit setting with another variety. You can find lots of material online about how to prune these and keep them healthy