Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first green gage is too sweet

Posted by milehighgirl CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 17:04

I got about 10 green gages this year. I bought the tree from Costco several years ago; couldn't resist the price, so I don't know which green gage it is. Are they supposed to be so sweet you can hardly eat more than a few?

What could a person do with a whole tree of these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first green gage is too sweet

Share them with friends or sell at the farmers market. And I prefer to eat just one great fruit rather than several store bought types. Sounds like you have a good problem.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 22:05

Green gages make honey sweet plums in temperate, not-so-sunny parts of the world like Central Europe. Once you expose them to the relentless Colorado sun, they will have an even higher brix. I'd love to take this problem out of your hands. Worse comes to worse, you can always make plum wine, but picking them a bit green will also do.

o

As soon as I tasted it I thought about wine!

Anyone here ever made green gage wine? I watched a British series called Foyle's War with one episode having green gage wine mentioned. In every scene it got a sour look. I wonder if that is the normal idea. Sort of like fruit cake for Christmas?

o

Easy solution, milehigh, dig it up, box it up, and mail it to hoosierquilt, who loves sweet, sweet stone fruits :-) Great problem to have. My Flavor King pluots were like that this year. Thanks for the tip, Fruitnut. My gosh that was a good pluot.

Patty S.

o

Could possibly be due to lack of rain in CO as well? THe lack of rain has the same effect that it has on peaches and cantelope right?

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 10:38

Yes, you could also water more, and they will be less sweet. But really, we are all jealous of your super-sweet green gage.

o

Well, I feel better now. I admit that I have not watered them regularly. I am in the process of figuring out a watering system for next year. My peaches really needed more water. They say distressed grapes make the best wine, so I guess I might have distressed plum wine next year if I don't water more.

o

THe peaches in the SE states are very sweet this year, and same with southern ontario (where there was some form of drought)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here