Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bosc Pears

Posted by dazed714 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 17:10

I have a Bosc pear tree that I planted about 6 years ago. It was 2 feet tall when I planted it and now I'm guessing its 12 foot or so. Very healthy. Last year I got a ton of marble sized fruit. This year the same, probably a little bigger. Will I ever see full size fruit from this tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bosc Pears

It may be lacking a pollinator variety. I've got Comice and several other pears by mine to supply pollen. The Bosc sets extremely well. So well that I've needed to thin to get return bloom the following year. Comice hasn't set well until this year but still very few in relation to all the bloom. I thinned Comice some this year. In the past it set one fruit for hundreds of blossoms.

o

In June, pull off the smallest pears until there is one pear every six inches or so. If you thin the pears, the tree can put more energy into the remaining ones and you'll get bigger, better fruit.

o

If it really is a Bosc pear.

o

Sounds like a callery pear to me.
2' is a pretty puny critter for a grafted pear tree - which it would have been if you'd actually gotten a Bosc. Or, perhaps the graft died and what you now have growing & fruiting is a seedling callery rootstock.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here