Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picking under-ripe Italian prune plums

Posted by gardenmom z4 WA (GardenMom360@gmail.com) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 17:26

My Italian prune plum tree is loaded with fruit. The outside is a nice blue, but the inside is still green and just a bit hard. Unfortunately, we're going away for 3 weeks and I'm sure by mid-Oct the night temps will be in the mid-20's and the fruit will freeze. I was told to just pick the fruit and spread them out in a single layer on a newspaper covered table. Our house stays pretty cool and I won't leave any heat on. Has anyone tried this? I could also spread them out in the garage. Will they ripen or should I just leave them all for the deer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picking under-ripe Italian prune plums

I am not sure about inside but I sure would not put them in the garage. They will freeze in there. Lived in that area and had 10 lbs of potatoes freeze in the garage. If anything in the house they might turn into prunes.

o
RE: Picking under-ripe Italian prune plums

I've picked plums early and let them ripen in a fairly warm place with good results. But I was home to check on them regularly and cull any that develop rot.

Maybe keeping them in a cooler place would retard the process. Maybe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here