Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting native persimmons to beat the squirrels

Posted by SamBrungardt none (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 17:27

My nephew, who lives in Kansas and has native persimmon trees on his property is plagued with squirrels this year, which are stealing the persimmons right off the trees. The persimmons are pink and he wants to know if he can pick them early and finish ripening off the tree. Any special steps to take?

I'd say they are ripe enough to pick and could be picked carefully so not to bruise them and then placed in a single layer in a paper bag or box until they are fully ripe.

Would this be good advice. If not, what should he do?

Thanks for sharing any experience with this.

Thanks for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting native persimmons to beat the squirrels

SB,

You can havest them now and let them sit at room temperature and the persimmons will be ripen and soft in a week or so. I tested out about 3 weeks ago with good results.

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here