Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trunk protection for cherry trees?

Posted by oldryder (4),MN (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 17:30

I have about 50 cherry trees that will be entering their 2nd winter this year. based on advice hre I have mulched the trees quite heavily as I lost about 10% the 1st winter (which is much higher mortality than I have experienced with apple and plum trees)

per advice here on the forum my apple trees have white trunk wraps to protect them from freeze damage in the spring.

question is do cherry trees need the same treatment?

as always thx for help.

Mark in MN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trunk protection for cherry trees?

You could paint them. Mine are located in a spot that gets no sun whatsoever all winter, so I just leave mine (north side of the house). I just put hardware cloth around them. You could pile snow around them, but that would be a lot of work and you need to watch out for voles.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 20:02

Mark,

Keep in mind trunk wraps or painting will not protect the cherry trees from extremely low temperature freeze damage. If the temps fall below the range it take to kill wood, the tree wraps won't help.

Tree wraps and painting do help prevent sun scald and southwest injury.

o

thx for help. My trees are supposed to be OK for Zone 4 and I'm on the southern edge of ZOne 4 so hopefully with good care they will be fine.

o

I have a few sweet cherry plants in Zone 5a and have experienced bark splitting in early spring when the snow is still on the ground. The split is almost always on the south or southwest side. Now I just mak esure that the sun would not shine directly on the trunk on the south & southwest side.

o

thx. mine are also mostly sweet cherry so I'll go forward with the trunk wraps.

o

Isn't the issue when something like a very cold January day (subzero high temps/common in WI most winters) with full sun and good snowcover. The sun reflects off the snow hitting the brown trunk, warming it to temps above freezing...Either a cloud comes by, dropping the temp back below 0F or the sun sets and the temps plummet again, causing the temp of the trunk to freeze solid? I think it goes something like that. I'm sure there is research out there on this sort of thing. Maybe i'll do some digging.

o

trunk wraps could help only with southern injury...focus ur work on protecting trunks against boarers (thus by usind a chloropiryphos ethyl spray on trunk at postharvest and before bud break in spring...pay attention on phytophtra desease as well...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here