Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Relocating kivi

Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 17:43

I have approx. 6yrs old kivi growing in the garden.
Could it be dug out & moved to new location?

I do not have name since I grew it from a cutting that was given to me. It grows very well but it is only one in the garden, so no fruit. It flowers well, but I don't know if it is male or female (I tried to id it by the flowers, but I am not sure).

I have anytime between now and end of November to do it; so if it could be moved, what would be best time?

It has been planted in a wood box abot 2.5x2.5feet, about 3feet high sitting right on the ground.

kivi flowers

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thnx.
Rina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Relocating kivi

Rina it is a female. Transplant after the leaves fall off.

Scott

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 22:35

Scott

Thank you.
I'll have to find it a mate...and get few more females.
I'll try to root some cuttings, maybe will have enough females that way.

Rina

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 6:44

Rina,If you want some male cuttings I can send you some after they go dormant in a few weeks.I have meader and 74-45 males.Just send me a PM with your mailing address.
What method did you use to root your kiwi,was it a fresh green cutting or dormant from fall/spring?I know some of us on here have had quite a go figuring out what works best on dormant cuttings.
Glenn

o

Glen

Thank you very much, I will take you on this offer...

I think I was just lucky (beginners luck, I guess) with that cutting (read some posts here about trying to root them).

It was a fresh cutting, I had 2. I did it 'primitive' way - just put in jar of water. Both had roots, one died because of my neglect (water evaporated). After I saw roots, I just dipped it in some rooting hormone & stuck in pot of soil, and it grew.
I don't remember exact timing, but I think it was Aug when I got that cutting. Before winter it was potted and overwintered outside.

I am just starting to learn anything about growing fruit trees & shrubs. I just acquired a 5ac property that is totaly bare (except few evergreens around the house).
Not even a flower bed. Used to be a small vegetable farm, but nothing grown on it for at least past 8 years.
(I didn't know what a 'meader' is - hat to google it...)

Any tips & trick about growing any trees&shrubs (edibles!) will be greatly appreciated.

Rina

o
RE: Relocating kivi - sorry for spelling mistakes...

I realized that I have to proof-read before submitting...just noticed that I misspelled kiwi and I appologize to Glenn for misspelling his name...

Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here