Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown fruit

Posted by dbrief 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 17:48

Anyone know what kind of fruit this is?
It is very hard, smells somewhat like a apple, irregular round shape.
Thanks,
db

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown fruit

Quince or flowering quince fruit?

o

That will be my guess too.Is the plant thorny? Brady

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 19:45

Yes, looks like a quince.
John S
PDX OR

o
grapes???

I have lived here for 7 years now and was investigating my yard when I see all these little round things growing everywhere. Even at the tops of trees. It makes a canopy of my whole size yard. I have never pruned or done anything in my yard except my small flower bed. But I guess prior tenents planted a bunch of stuff. From walnuts to honeysuckle. To grapes?? Is that what they are? They didn't grow big at all theye arelike the size of crabapples. They have a seed inside. How do I even begin to take care of the vines if that's what they are? When right now it goes in the tops of trees and near ground

o

The orignial fruit is definately an old fashioned quince. Please google how to use them, as they are not handled like apples but make wonderful jellies. They bring a king's ransom at the farm markets here, if you can even find them. I have quince trees and had a huge crop this year.

o

Making sauce or juice uses lots more quince. Can handle like apples in both cases.

First 2013 picking on my semi-dwarf tree was 165 pounds, lots more left yet to ripen.

o

Definitely Quince but quite a small fruit. Tony F.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 13:27

Doesn't seem small to me at around 4.5 inches in diameter.

o

A typical quince fruit is softball-sized like the one above; some varieties average larger yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here