Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango/Papaya

Posted by JeffDM San Diego, Ca. - 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 17:53

I live in the northern part of San Diego, Ca. and have just started an attempt to grow mangoes from nursery plant/seed and papayas from purchased seeds.
I was planning to grow some of both in 1/2 whiskey barrel sized planters and others in a sunny, but sheltered section of my backyard.
I'd appreciate any advice and any tales of success or failure.

Thanks,
Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango/Papaya

Jeff, I live in the same general area of the country as you (Vista, N. San Diego county, CA), and we can grow both mangos and papayas quite well here, along with several other tropicals/semi-tropicals like asian guavas, pineapple guavas (feijoas), sapotes, cherimoyas, dragonfruits, and bananas to name just a few. I am growing a Solo papaya because I happen to prefer their taste over some of the other varieties, but there are many good papaya choices as well. And same with mangos. Some mangos will grow true to seed, others will not, so depends what mango variety seeds you've planted. You're probably better off posting this over on the Tropical Fruits forum on Garden Web, and another really great, great forum, the Tropical Fruits Forum, for tropical fruits (see the link below. Many San Diego folks on this forum. Mangos may be a bit of a challenge in a container, unless they are naturally smaller or dwarf, as they are trees with pretty deep tap roots. Mine are in the ground and doing well. Lastly, I'd recommend joining the local chapter of the California Rare Fruit Growers, as they are a great group with some real experts amongst their ranks. There is a San Diego chapter as well as a N. San Diego chapter. Great, great group of folks.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Fruit Forum

o
RE: Mango/Papaya

Thanks for the info and the link.
I've got my avocados and mangoes in containers because I'm still not sure where to plant them.
I think I have a spot for the papayas, but they'll be in pots for a bit also.
My backyard faces south and half of it is a 45 deg. slope that is always windy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here