Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_texas_peg

Raspberries and Blackberries in partial shade?

west_texas_peg
15 years ago

I live on the western edge of Central Texas and was advised by a lady in Ohio that I should plant my berries in partial shade, she said they would be sweeter and grow better.

This year I put all our plants in 18 gallon containers and put them where they were in partial shade and they have done very well.

We are planning to build raised beds for these plants (have back problems--weeding/watering from a chair is much easier) and I need to know the best location to plant them in my climate which is hot and dry before we go to the trouble to build beds for them.

Thanks so much for any advise.

Peggy

Comments (4)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    15 years ago

Peggy:

I live in Alpine TX. Blackberries really appreciate some shade here. Ideally they would do best under shade cloth with about 50% shade. But moderate afternoon shade from trees would work. They will grow in full sun but the best berries are underneath the canopy. Those on top are smaller and may be sunburnt.

I grew black raspberries in Amarillo. Believe they were the cultivar Jewell. I liked the raspberries better than most of the blackberries.

One thing I really didn't like were any of the thornless blackberries I've tried. Kiowa was my favorite BB.

The Fruitnut

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Here in RI, I grow my blackberries in about 80% sun and they seem to be quite happy. Mine are Chester thornless and I think they taste great... though, I really have only a little experience eating fresh blackberries... just these, the wild ones on my property, and the thorned ones at the U-pick place down the road. But, I am the opposite of a picky eater, so take my advice with a grain of salt. After dealing with the harsh thorns (much worse than raspberry thorns) at the U-Pick, and considering how these Chester blackberries taste, I would never consider planting a thorned variety... Except maybe for the 2 new primocane fruiting varieties. People here on this forum usually recommend 'Triple Crown' which is thornless. I plan to add some of those next year. Good luck. -Glenn

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

As for the raspberries, I've got one bed which is in probably 75% shade. I still get berries, they're just not as big, or as many as the beds in full sun. I plant to add another large, very-shaded raspberry bed next year, simply because I'm running out of prime sun spots in my yard! -Glenn

• west_texas_peg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fruitnut,
    You understand what sort of heat we get early on...long before some are even able to plant a garden.

Glenn,
    I am growing Arapaho blackberries and just this year received some Red Heritage raspberries but want to add more to the garden and have been reading Caroline is good but need to check to see if it is good for Texas.

I've been bending the canes over, covering with soil and have created more plants. Am hoping to have enough to eat fresh, make sugarfree jam (hubby is diabetic) and freeze some for Winter use.

I've never had raspberries...too expensive in our grocery store (small town...one store).

I hear you on running out of sun. We planted 2 apricot trees, 2 peach trees, a pear and a plum when we moved into this house 5 years ago. I'm hoping to take advantage of the shade under the trees by putting Alpine strawberries in containers under them.

Thank you for the replies!

Peggy