Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hickory nuts from seeds

Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 19, 08 at 18:09

I found out it's not good to steal hickory trees from the woods. 5 years later and I have White Ash as young Ash seems to have the same number of leaves as a hickory.

I figure if I start from local seeds I can have one tree and not worry about pollination.

So do I plant them outside now (do they need the freeze treatment), wait until spring or start them inside in a pot now?

I'm guessing the squirrels plant them now, they freeze and come up in the spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hickory nuts from seeds

Yup, good guess -- they require stratification over the winter, as do most woody temperate zone seeds which mature in the late summer and fall (as oppossed to something like Silver Maple which germinates about as soon as it hits the ground in the sprintime).

Either plant them where you can bury some hardware cloth over them to keep the tree rats out, or just plant a LOT of extras. (Don't want to mention any squirrel control strategies, why poke that hornet's nest again?)

o

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 19, 08 at 22:51

I've got some left over hardware cloth from when I fenced the sparrows out of my siding.

Thanks.

o

Has anybody heard of fried Squirrel? Just kidding. Hickery nuts come up real good from seed. They have to go through winter. Wish you were here , we have tons of hickery nuts.Linda

o

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 12:17

I mainly want the wood for smoking. I could collect the nuts easy enough in the woods. But those woods trees go straight up with no low branches to climb so they're not pruning friendly.
I think I tried squirrel on the smoker and it wasn't right. The nut fed ones are much better than ones who like wild grapes.

What I'm remembering from when I was in a house in the woods the hickory nuts weren't as good as the butternuts and I'm getting plenty of those this year so hopefully that tree is large enough to always give enough now.
But the Hickories are a lot easier to crack so I'd like the nuts if I have the tree.

o

Hickery nuts are delicious in fudge. Have you ever had hickery nut cake. MMMMMMMMMM Linda

o

lindakay,

even better than fried squirrel is baked pot pie and slippery pot pie ( dumplings )! of course mr. squirrel is the main guest invited for dinner.

hickory nut fudge and cake sound wonderful.

i'm wanting to plant a few here for fresh eating nuts. i'm hoping dad can gather and send me some nuts this fall. trouble he has is getting them before the local wildlife. wanted some persimmons from him and they were ate before he even had a chance to pick them.

i bet they would enhance vanilla ice cream just as black walnut does. black walnuts i do have and am planting even more.

regards,
wildlifeman.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here