Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueboy1977

Florida Hill Nursery Blueberry Plants

blueboy1977
11 years ago

Getting a bunch of fall flowers on both of my known Emeralds now. The unknown vareities from FHN and a Sharp Blue from FHN are getting fall flowers at exactly the same time. The leaf patterns are the same as both Emeralds and as mentioned above, fall flowers. What are the chances? Has anyone here grown Sharp Blue? If so does it send out different looking branches in the fall with flowers? I have a feeling that I have more Emeralds than I thought.

Comments (12)

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Blueboy,

I have a few varieties that flower in the fall but none of my sweetcrisps do that.

Can't help on Sharpblue.

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Right on Bam, at least it firms it up that my unknown from FHN are not sweetcrisp. Im willing to bet money that they are Emerald. The sharpblue they sent looks exactly like Emerald also. I was very carefull not to mix any up when I potted them so I know it wasnt my mistake. I dont think I will be ordering anymore plants from them. They cant even get a "make up for our mistake order" right. Unbelievable!!!

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Blueboy,

I have 50 sweetcrisps....if they fall flowered you would think at least 1 of the 50 would do so.

My Emeralds fall flower and so do my Windsors and Southmoon...think that is all. Florida Hill sends out wrong bananas, figs as well as flowers. I said it before and will again....in my opinion it is not an accident.

Bought 3 HUGE 4 foot tall 'Star' BB yesterday. A small local garden center was having a half off sale so they were just $7 each. The bases were bigger than a golf ball.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

It is either intentional or they are terribly disorganized.They may love to grow plants as much as anyone,but going into business and selling them is a big difference. Brady

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

They are just a TC reseller.....

• steve_in_los_osos
    11 years ago

Here's a shot of my Sharpblue today. All of my plants got haircuts recently due to an insect infestation. Only the Sharpblue is fruiting with this much abandon right now, although a few other types are trying to set flower buds.

See post below for pic of ripe berries.

• steve_in_los_osos
    11 years ago

Here's some berries I picked this morning (before they could cook...). They're pretty large and rather flat.

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pic Steve. Good to know that sharp blue fruits in the fall. Do you have Emerald by any chance? If this is Sharpblue that I have it looks exactly like Emerald from the branches to the leafs and fall flowers. Of all the different varieties I have they all seem pretty distinguishable from one another except for my Sharp Blue and some of the rabbiteyes. I hope it is Sharpblue because I've read the fruit quality is good.

• steve_in_los_osos
    11 years ago

Unfortunately my blueberry collection contains three "unknowns" which I inherited from my neighbors who found them too demanding, along with the Sharpblue and some Sunshine Blues. So I might have Emerald, but I would never know!

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Steve,

Emerald tends to have big very tight and I mean VERY tight fruit clusters to the point the berries are sometimes tough to pick. Sound like your unknowns?

• steve_in_los_osos
    11 years ago

No, that's not like any of mine. One turns flame red in the winter (the only one to change color), the other two are similar to Sharpblue in output, but not synched in terms of fruiting time (which is a good thing). Until home DNA tests for blueberries become available, I guess the mystery will continue!

My climate is so mild here that some one of the plants is nearly always in bloom, but berries are quite small or never develop when it gets too chilly for pollinators to come around.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Steve,

We can't rule out any cultivar as in your zone the plants are going to act differently due to lack of chill hours. You need the chill for proper fruit set but hey you can grow them there and they fruit, that is all that matters.