Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NO fruit on raspberry plants

Posted by caroljeanb NE Wisconsin (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 18:36

I tended them all summer, weeding them and giving them some plant food, but by summer's end, they had grown up into strong, tall bushes, healthy looking, but they had not raspberries, not one! What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NO fruit on raspberry plants

I can't help you but I do seem to be in a similar boat .So I will be looking forward to any answers you get...

I have got 2 adjoining rows of canes and one of them seems to fruit fairly decently whereas the other one is very disappointing in that the flowers seem to produce very small , insignificant fruit or ,mostly, they just tutn to withered flowers.
I treat them similarly and my intention ,next year ,is to apply some extra potash or potassium instead of the (very well rotted) stable manure that I have been using.
I have even read that they don't need very much feeding at all but I find that hard to believe (even though the rasperries that grow wild along the roads and in the wood nearby do tend to put my own to shame even if their fruit is only more plentiful rather than actually bigger...)

o

Hi Carol-
We need a little more information. Did they just get planted this year? Are they a summer bearing variety, or a fall bearing variety? If they're a summer bearing variety, then it is normal for them to only give berries in their second year. I.e. With summer raspberries, you get your berries on the 2nd year canes called floricanes, and not on the 1st year canes, called primocanes. With fall bearing varieties, you do get berries in their 1st year on the primocanes. -Glenn

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 13:17

Were there any flowers on your raspberry canes? Is there were, then a lack of pollinators, typically bumblebees, could be the cause of no fruit. We have plenty of bees every summer, partly because of the flowers we grow, and partly because the neighbors have plenty of flowers, and, apparently, bee habitat.

o

I planted my raspberries this year in january, and they came from the store with part of last years cane. so it sprouted from that cane and got fruit off of it, and its also sprouting its next round of canes for next year which dont get fruit....sounds to mee like you got a bunch of first year canes....but i coudl be wrong. my raspberries are in almost full shade and I get a nice size crop, specially for being first year. hope that helps

~Mike

o

I had no flowers or fruit on my raspberry bushes. The canes were healthy and beautiful. I waited all summer long to now and still nothing. Last year we transplanted them because they weren't growing to this spot. What happened do you think?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here