Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Intensive apple plantings What's it called

Posted by luke_oh zone 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 18:44

I visited 2 local orchards today and saw their new plantings were dwarf or simi dwarf in rows, spaced 6 or 8 feet apart, they were staked and loaded with apples. Does anyone know the name of this planting system? Looked good to me. I'd like to research so I'd appreciate any information. Thanks, Luke

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Intensive apple plantings What's it called

Luke that is how most new commercial orchards are laid out these days. Google high density orchard and you will find a whole slew of relevant information. It is also an excellent method for the home grower since no ladders are needed for harvesting.

Scott

o

Isn't it called the spindle system?

o

• Posted by luke_oh zone 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 20:48

Thank You, I appreciate your help. Luke

o

Slender spindle is one system like that. I suppose you could do 6ft row spacing. But even in a home orchard 8ft would probably be better.

o

One term is the tall-spindle method. This was posted not too long ago for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Terence Robinson at Dressel Farms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here