Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this elderberry? How do I post more than one pic?

Posted by jeanwedding 6 ky (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 18:49

On edge of property near ditch.....Is this an elderberry???
The "berries are more darker today.... course there are other trees and weeds etc around it....
Today berries are darker.....like purple dark purple
Hoping I can eat them.....Crossing my fingers...
Thanks
Jean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this elderberry? How do I post more than one pic?

You can post more than one picture by uploading your pictures to photobucket or flickr or another similar site. Then you paste the links to those pictures in your post.

In photobucket you choose, "share", then, "get link code", then select, "IMG for bulletin boards & forums". Copy and paste that into the message box here. You can choose Full size or Clickable thumbnail.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 20:37

The berries, when ripe, should be really dark. It is elderberry IMHO, but to make sure, if you can break one of the canes/branches, inside it has an easily identifiable corky wood with empty space. Not all elderberry are great eating, my wild ones tend to be bitter for example.

o

Looks more like winter berry - Ilex verticillata

o

It definitely 100% is NOT elderberry.

o

agreed, NOT elderberry. Berry clusters and leaf groupings are wrong

o

Definitely NOT elderberry.
You've missed elderberry season by at least a month here in KY - the fruits are long gone, but you might still be able to acquaint yourself with the plant's habit, leaf morphology - and some will likely still be carrying the stems of their now depleted fruit clusters - plan for next year.

o

That does not look like elderberry to me.

Here are some photos of what american elderberry look like in bloom and with fruit:

http://dallasfruitgrower.typepad.com/dallas-fruit-vegetable/2012/07/elderberries.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Dallas Fruit Grower - elderberry

o

The berries in your photo look somewhat like Autumn Olive (Eleagnus umbellata), but the leaves not quite so much... more suggestive of the Ilex verticillata mentioned earlier, but the shady conditions may not be demonstrating the fairly prominent silvery undersides.

If it is AO, the berries are pretty tasty when fully ripe; underripe, they're tarts and may still have some slight astringency. It's maligned as an invasive - and that may be the case - but the fruits are high in lycopene, and make a tasty jelly/jam. I've done some AO vodka infusions, and while they don't lend any red color to the end product, they do confer a nice flavor (and you can still use the vodka-infused fruit in smoothies 8>).

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Olive

o

Looks like Rhamnus frangula, a native buckthorn, to me.

o

One more for NOT elderberry. Although there is a pinnate leaf to the right, it does not belong to the berries in the picture.

o

my first - very inexperienced- thought was Nandina bush ?

o

No, not nandina.

o

could that be poison sumac I unwrapped around it?
Thanks yall
Jean

o

Beetle was on right track- specifically Corolina buckthorn - Frangula Carolinia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here