Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting apricot Onto plum tree ? Does it work?

Posted by mattpf none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 19:11

Just wondering if grafting apricot onto plum trees works? And also peaches
I see all these multi fruit trees but what rootstock is used and what's compatible . I'd like to hear from experience I can read online and get a million different answers. Personal experience would be best or real knowledge of the compatablity of grafting

Thanks guys

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting apricot Onto plum tree ? Does it work?

This one is on plum, ..I killed it when transplanting.

Photobucket

o

Short answer is "It depends". Sometimes stone fruit combinations work well, sometimes they work but not well, sometimes they don't work, and sometimes they work for a while.

That discussion has taken place here in the past- here's a link to one such:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0113395525077.html

and another:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0113395525077.html .

And here is a page from Fowler Nursery that might guide you to a good rootstock choice.

http://www.fowlernurseries.com/New Pages/Rootstocks.htm

Bear in mind that you might not be able to buy the rootstock you want. In that case you might buy a tree built on that rootstock and then graft it over, or you could take whatever tree, good, bad, or indifferent, on the desired rootstock and prune it below the graft in the hope that it would send up new growth. All the new growth would be the desired rootstock.

Hope that's not confusing ...

Good luck and have fun,

M

o

Konrad do you wrap or protect any of your apricot trees up their?
I'm pretty south Alberta we get alot of warm winter weather

o

I was a nurseryman, we used plum stock for Apricots in most cases without any problem.

If you are grafting apricots its a good idea to treat the budwood with a fixed copper spray.
Apricots are so suseptable to bacteria and you get huge losses from disease.
My graft take went from near zero to near 100% in some suseptable varieties after treatment

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here