Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown pepper plant identification

Posted by greenmonster182 tx (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 19:17

I bought a couple of pepper plants in early June and one of them they did not identify. they said they got the seeds from Mexico and someone told me he bought one last year and it was a small pepper but VERY hot. Now the plant is about 5 ft 10 in and produced a lot of flowers about 5 days ago. The flowers were white and faced downwards. Now there a few small green peppers forming and I'm wondering what they are. I'm thinking either chili pepper or Tabasco pepper but I am a novice so I am open to any guesses. Please tell me what you think this mystery pepper is. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown pepper plant identification

Jalapeno.

o

I don't think it is jalapeno, it is to big and doesn't match up with my other jalapeno plant

o

You may be right check this forum in link.

Here is a link that might be useful: pepper forum

o

Are all of the peppers growing vertically? "Bird Peppers" grow like that

o

you might be on to something, all the peppers are growing up and bird pepper plants get up to 2 meters

o

There are way too many varieties to hazard a guess, but the upright habit of the fruit is definitely an important characteristic. Chances are it will be something plenty hot though.

o

Look like bird eye pepper.

o

Wait until they get to size and ripen, it will be easier to ID then.

o

It doesn't look like a birds eye pepper. It will be easier to tell once the peppers get a little bigger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here