Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing and planting raspberry plants/canes..

Posted by wittyraven 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 19:25

We are going to be getting some plants/canes from my father in laws raspberry plants. He has a pretty long row of them so we will probably get quite a few. I know nothing about raspberries. Will is be okay planting them straight in the garden this fall? Or should I transplant them to pots and move them into the garden next spring? I'm in AK so pretty cold winter(last year in september we were 20-30 degrees below). Seems risky to plant them in the garden right before winter... but what do I know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing and planting raspberry plants/canes..

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 22:14

Here in Madison, Wisconsin, I transplant raspberries in the fall, and they overwinter fine. They grow like weeds in our yard, so I have to thin them every spring, or the patch gets so thick with canes that I am unable to get to much of the fruit. They also transplant well in the spring, before they have flowered, typically in April or early May. We have milder winter weather than Alaska, however. It gets down to 10 below every winter, and sometimes we see 20 below, but rarely any colder than that.

o

Plant them at least as deeply as they were in the in-laws garden, and do you have reliable snow cover in the winter?

o

Yes, theres usually a steady 1-3 feet on the ground with a nice thick sheet of ice underneath until April-May.

o

Then there's your protection; otherwise put some thick mulch on if there will be a deep freeze prior to the snowfall. Getting the soil moist before a hard freeze can help, especially if you have gritty alluvial soil, as it reduces the air content of the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here