Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trails on my orange leaves

Posted by jwoodlock FL (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 19:33

I have a young orange, lime, and lemon tree. all three have these trails on the leaves. they look like they are being eaten by caterpillars or bugs of some kind. any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trails on my orange leaves

It is leaf miners. They are not trails ON but instead INSIDE the leaves. A very small moth like bug lays eggs on the leaf and the resulting maggot burrows inside feeding on the leaf and leaving the trails. Because they are inside the leaf external pesticide does no good once it is inside. If it is a non bearing tree you can use bayer tree and shrub to kill them...or you can ignore them as the leaf is still producing energy or you can spray something like spinosad weekly to leave a residule film on the leaf that will kill the maggot when it hatches from the egg.

The miners just go after new growth and the first spring flush is normally free of miners. They are a Pain.....

o

Leafminer, most citrus have these critters, especially in the Deep South. Find something that has spinosad in it and spray whenever new leaves flush.

o

Thanks! I'm going try out this spinosad. My trees are not blooming, I'm hoping this is the problem.

o

Oh I guarantee the picture you showed is miners, they are very common. If you look on the very new leaves that just have a short trail you will be able to see the lil maggot and just squish them. I have 18 citrus trees and some seem to be more attractive to the miners than others but except on the very young trees I just ignore them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here