Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ants all over fruit on asian pear??

Posted by rehabbingisgreen (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 19:35

Will they hurt my tree or fruit and what can I do to get them off? They were not there before today and now they are crawling all over the fruit on a section of the tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ants all over fruit on asian pear??

Follow the trail back and eliminate the nest. I use a light sugar syrup with Borax powder added, works every time.
Ant like sugars. Are the fruits damaged?

o

For my Asian pears, when I see ants on fruit, those fruit are usually open/damaged by bird pecking or squirrel biting (when they don't take the whole fruit).

After you get rid of ants on the tree, if you don't use sugar and borax, you can wrap a masking tape inside out around the trunk of the tree and smear a product called Tanglefoot of the tape (be careful not to smear the trunk). Sometimes, I use two strips of tape overlapping each other to make a wider band.

I do the same taping on my sweet cherry trunks (after killing aphids) because ants like to farm aphids that are on underside of cherry leaves.

o

Or, first hose off the ants,...and afterwards snuggly wrap the inside-out masking tape on a smooth area of the trunk that will keep ants from crawling there as long as you keep sticky tape in place. I am too lazy to tangle with Tanglefoot.

o

Thanks so much for the info! Love the tape idea! I will sure be using that! I will get after them first thing in the morning with the hose and go from there and get them under control. Thanks so much for all the help <3

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here