Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skittles3482

Green Apricots????

skittles3482
10 years ago

Okay, so in our yard we have what seems like two trees planted in one hole. I'm not sure if this is common practice or someone was being extra lazy lol. Anyhow, one tree is a nectarine, the other seems to be an apricot tree HOWEVER the fruit never fully ripens!

To clarify, it technically ripens as in it gets soft and sweet and falls and rots off the tree, but it never changes from green. So visually the fruit is quite small, maybe 2 inches in diameter, if that, and has the shape of an apricot (an indent on one side, and fuzzy). The flesh and skin are both green. The skin is fairly bitter while the flesh itself is quite sweet.

The nectarine tree has already finished producing fruit, and the apricot (?) tree is starting to drop fruit like crazy. These trees are at least 3-5 years old and were here when we moved in.

Of note, this year June beetles ate a very large portion of my nectarines, and have not touched the apricots. (they are in the same hole, so proximity is not the reason).

This is the second year this has happened-the first I just thought they never ripened and never looked into it. Now that it has happened again i'm really curious.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments (4)