Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayfratus78

orange tree

jayfratus78
10 years ago

I have an orange tree I think. I would like to know what kind it is and if I can eat them. And it has Alot of thorns.

Comments (9)

• jayfratus78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can anyone tell me what kind of orange tree this is and can I eat it.

• jayfratus78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can anyone tell me what kind of orange tree this is and can I eat it.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

Hard to say for sure what it is. The tree doesn't look very healthy, so I'm not sure if the ripened fruit will be a decent representation of whatever variety it is. I would remove the fruit and focus on the health and vigor of the tree.

Four Winds Growers is a great place to start for all things citrus.

• jayfratus78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ya it don't look to good. the center of it is dead
    .so I'm going to cut the dead out. And prune it then see what happens thanx.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

jayfratus78, impossible to tell you what specific orange cultivar you have, or if it is even an orange at all. I would definitely prune out any dead wood from the center of the tree. Be sure to water the poor tree regularly, and fertilize it with the proper amount of citrus fertilizer sprinkled at the drip line (edge of the canopy 3 to 4 times a year.) Once the oranges are ripe, then you can taste them and see if they are sweet. Valencia oranges ripen in the summer, from March through July. If it's a navel orange (most likely it would be a Washington navel), they ripen December through January. And, you're much better off posting citrus questions over on the Citrus forum.

Patty S.

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

Here copy paste of Sour are bitter oranges they used root stock for sweet oranges.

The first Spaniards to land in St. Augustine, planted the first sour orange seeds in Florida. By 1763 they had been adopted by most early settlers and local Indians. The most widely propagated variety grown in Florida is the Seville. The Seville can now be found growing wild from as far north as Jacksonville to Key West. Today, many sour varieties can be found growing wild from southern Georgia along the Gulf coast all the way to Argentina.

In Florida the Seville is used primarily as a rootstock for grafting budwood from sweet oranges. However the Seville has many uses including marmalade, and in the liqueurs Triple sec, Grand Marnier and Curaçao.

Cooking:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sour Oranges.

This post was edited by gator_rider2 on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 20:51

• insteng
    10 years ago

I agree with Gator_Rider I think it is probably a sour orange with all the long thorns. We used to use them as lemons for cooking in the Bahamas. They grow wild and will get really long thorns.

• jayfratus78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanx everyone you were a great help.I will do what ya said thanx again.

• alh_in_fl
    10 years ago

Yeah, it does look like sour orange growing from the rootstock. That wrinkly appearance is characteristic.
    Some of the rootstock fruits are bitter, but some are just sour and can be used like lemons. Orangeade made from sour oranges like lemonade is really good.