Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee Houseplant Trouble

Posted by cobalt87 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 20:20

I have a coffee tree that I am growing as a houseplant. During the summer months, it it's leaves started turning brown and falling off. Also, there are white puffs on the nodules of the branches. It is in a room with bright light and average humidity. I was watering it once a week in the summer (drenched it). I tried a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water and hasn't helped at all. I have also increased watering to everyday and that doesn't seem to affect it. I may have tried a 50/50 mixture with some ivory soap when I first had the problem. However, it came back. Maybe I should try the soap again? What do you think is going on. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee Houseplant Trouble

You maybe better off to ask this in Tropical plant forum.
Its normal for some leaves fall off trunk plant if growing young plant. White ooze I don't have clue.

o

Please post a photo, so we can see what is the issue.

Also where do you live, do you know what variety of coffee it is, etc.

I live in Guatemala, producer of the finest coffee in the world; I have a lot of friends who are coffee growers and will know in a minute what is the problem.

I have 4 tropical gardens for which I have responsibility and every one has coffee trees; they are beautiful and really quite easy to care for.

o

Probably spidermites or mealybugs. Try and get a bottle of "Safers soap". That stuff is pretty good, and isnt extremely toxic to us (its basically oilly dish soap)

Again, a pic will help. ID also stop watering it everyday. Once a week is good

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here