Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SWD love tequila!

Posted by NilaJones 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 20:25

So, my next door neighbors (college students) were moving out, and had a bunch of giveaway stuff out at the curb, including a couple of tequila bottles with about half a cup left in the bottom of each. I'm not a drinker, but tequila smells good and I thought I might use it in cooking, so I took them.

Philistine that I am, I combined the remnants of both bottles in a an old salsa jar to stick on my panty shelf. And who should appear out of nowhere in my kitchen when I was pouring, but an SWD? Looking VERY interested.

So I baited one of my traps with tequila, and the other 4 with the usual ACV. That one trap caught more flies in the next week than the other 4 combined!

It seems you catch more flies with cheap tequila than you do with nice organic vinegar. As my mama always told me :).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SWD love tequila!

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 21:25

Thanks for posting this note on Gardenweb. Here in Madison, I am seeing spotted wing drosophilia on our raspberries for the first time. They showed up in late August. As the weather cools, there seem to be fewer flies, but they can still be found. If I can't find a way to slow them down, I might have to pull up the raspberry bed.

o
RE: SWD love tequila!

I just eat the raspberries with the bugs in them. They don't taste bad. I expect the SWD call me the Killer of Children.

However, I find that if I can catch a berry on the exact DAY it becomes ripe, it is maggot-free. Often with a lady SWD who flies off it when I pick it. The next day, poof, it is mush if not already picked and eaten.

This works ok for grazing in the garden, but not for freezing and making jam, etc.

You might try wrapping your plants in the spring, with tulle or no see em netting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here