Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawanddisorder

Best Yellow Raspberry?

lawanddisorder
10 years ago

I want to add a couple yellow raspberries to my backyard container orchard. Any suggestions?

I am leaning towards Fall Gold, Anne and Double Gold.

I am looking for something with sweet flavor, good production and, disease/pest resistance. What are some of your favorites?

Thanks!

Comments (56)

• franktank232
    10 years ago

I really am impressed with Fall Gold... Good sized berries, no bird issues, great flavor... A winner in my book.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input! It's hard for me to judge off a few berries on new plants. Fall Gold can be tart if picked early. I tend to pick early. I like them tart and firm. Anne is sweet at this stage, so if looking for sweeter, Anne is it. Ironic Fall Gold was the first berry I grew, and still is near the top. Only the red "Prelude" impressing me more.
    I will report on Honey Queen, and Cascade Gold after I harvest a crop. Both are easy to obtain at nurseries. Honey Queen was developed in Canada, so I guess is a hardy beast. Sold at berriesunlimited. Sold out at the moment. Everbearing. No berries yet, but i did taste a few on the florocane bare root. They were good, but like Kiwi, not good over ripe.They turned a gold -red color over ripe, cool looking, some may like them. Hard for me to judge as currants are right up there as tasting good to me. I said raspberries are my fav, but currants really is my fav.
    Probably explains why I liked Kiwi, if not that sweet, fits my needs better. You know you add so much sugar when cooking, and I love to cook. Tart works better for me. Although I now can make jam with no sugar at all. The new calcium with citrus pectin needs no sugar to gel.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Mrs G,

I guess one can change their mind. You wrote this 2012 01 12...

"Hi, I've grown 'Fall Gold' and they are small. My favorite golden raspberry that I now grow is 'Kiwi Gold'. This yellow raspberry is very sweet, with a taste of honey! Quite yummy. They produce berries on the ends of their canes and mine produced through November in Zone 6-7. Hope this helps. Golden raspberries are not tarter, they are sweeter."

You can find that quote here:

Here is a link that might be useful: gold raspberry bushes

• lawanddisorder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drew, that thread had some interesting comments. I was searching yellow raspberries, not gold raspberries and missed that one.

I ordered an Anne and Double Gold, because I found them at a local nursery. I still want to add Fall Gold, and would be interested in trying Kiwi Gold, but won't be too upset if I don't get it.

Also, Drew, I will definitely take you up on your offer of shipping a rooted sucker. I'd trade with you if you wanted, but depending on the variety you wanted, I would need some time to get one ready.

The following list, plus the Anne and Double Gold Rasps, and a Purple Wonder Strawberry are what I can offer, though, like I said, some varieties will require significant lead time before it would be ready:

Apple , 4-in-1 - Big Red Delicious, Yellowgold Delicious, Mcintosh, Northern Red Spy
    Apple , Pixie Crunch
    Apricot, Harlayne
    Apricot, Sugar Pearls
    Blackberry, Apache
    Blackberry, Black Satin
    Blackberry, Chester Thornless
    Blackberry, Hull
    Blackberry, Prime-Jan
    Blackberry, Prime-Jim
    Blackberry, Triple Crown
    Blackberry, Unknown Varietal
    Blueberry, Bluecrop
    Blueberry, Bluegold
    Blueberry, Blueray
    Blueberry, Chandler
    Blueberry, Earliblue
    Blueberry, Elliot
    Blueberry, Patriot
    Blueberry, Pink Lemonade
    Boysenberry, Thornless
    Cherry, Carmine Jewel
    Currant, Black, Unknown Varietal
    Currant, Red, Unknown Varietal
    Currant, White Imperial
    Fig, Brown Turkey
    Fig, Chicago Hardy
    Fig, Hardy Everbearing
    Goji, Sweet Lifeberry
    Gooseberry, Unknown Varietal
    Grape, Concord
    Grape, Concord
    Grape, Glenora Seedles - Blue
    Grape, Lakemont Seedless - Green
    Grape, Reliance Seedless - Purple
    Honeyberry, Borealis
    Honeyberry, Cinderella
    Kiwi, Ananasnaya (Anna) Femal
    Kiwi, Arctic Beauty - Female
    Kiwi, Arctic Beauty - Male
    Kiwi, Chang Bai Female
    Kiwi, Issai Hardy
    Kiwi, Ken's Red Female
    Kiwi, Meader Male
    Mulberry, Illinois Everbearing
    Nectarine, Mericrest
    Nectarine, Yumm Yumm
    Pawpaw, Pennsylvania Golden Graft
    Pawpaw, Unnamed cultivar
    Peach, Flamin' Fury Jumbo
    Peach, Flavorcrest
    Peach, Redhaven
    Pear, 2-in-1 - Bartlett and Red Sensation
    Plum, Stanley
    Raspberry, Munger's Black
    Raspberry, Red Willamette
    Raspberry, Royalty Purple
    Strawberry, Allstar
    Strawberry, Homer's Field
    Strawberry, Quinalt
    Strawberry, Seqioua
    Strawberry, Tribute Everbearer

let me know if anything interests you.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Yes, a lot look cool, and I would like, but no biggy, I should have bare root suckers ready this next spring. Just email me your address, and I'll send it along next spring. Include email address to inform you.
    Nice list of cultivars! My problem is I'm out of room, and I will be moving in 5 years. So i want to add stuff, but will only be adding a few experimental items to test. Like hardy figs and persimmons, to see how they do. but I want plants not scions. So no worries. I also have little time and I may not add those items. It depends if I can prepare areas. I grow a lot of seeds, so that keeps me busy too. Maybe a rain check? I will be growing some unusal Rubus plants. Some may be worthwhile growing.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Drew! You're right I changed my mind. Mrs. G

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"Drew! You're right I changed my mind. Mrs. G"

Well thanks much for your input. I hope I like them, as it looks to be a nice stong cultivar. Always a plus.

• thepodpiper
    10 years ago

I have only anne yellow raspberry so can only give input on the one. I planted 3 bare root anne's last year so did not expect much from it but this year I was highly impressed with the amount of raspberries and their flavor. I do have a question regarding these raspberries. How and when do I prune the canes of these types of raspberries? Thanks.

Dale

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

I have Honey Queen, great production and sweet, not sure if it would do well for you, something to try if you can get it, a local developed fruit.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I'm in zone 6 and Honey Queen is growing well, it should work anywhere. No berries yet, but next year for sure.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Not huge berries, ..

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Interesting! So are the red ones super ripe, or do they turn yellow? Most yellows start off white.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Yes,..the darker ones are very sweet and need to get picked.

• jtburton
    10 years ago

I have had Anne 2 years now and purchased a couple of double gold for trial. Anne has flavorful berries but they are soft and can be prone to mold if you get rain and hot temperatures during harvest, especially the Fall harvest. Mine have grown well and suckered moderately but I may make this a summer crop only due to climate and pest pressure. Birds eat them (at least in my berry patch) and a stink bug infestation ruined the whole Fall crop this year. This variety also has a long production period which means you'll get a small amount of berries every few days for weeks, which sounds nice but it's never enough production for anything but eating out of hand. At least that's been my experience.

• erect and thornless
    6 years ago

hey, everyone. is cascade gold a thorny variety? most commercial descriptions don't mention thorniness, and the hortscience paper online doesn't mention thorniness, either. thanks in advance.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    6 years ago

Yeah they are thorny.

• erect and thornless
    6 years ago

thanks, drew. how fierce are the thorns, would you say?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

They are softer than most. After dealing with thorny blackberries they seem like nothing. I rarely need to touch the canes. I like using swede work gloves, just one on the left hand for grabbing, Blackberries are terrible with the thorns staying in your hands. They have caught my arms numerous times ripping the skin and bleeding all over. So raspberries are a pleasure to work with! Anne has practically no thorns, it has other problems.

Cascade Gold is a cool plant but is not a consistent producer, good years and bad. The berry flavor is top rate and unique tasting. I noticed this year Kiwi Gold were balls of sugar with hardly any acid. Sweeter than Anne or Fall Gold. Impossible to find these days. I have a new hybrid pink raspberry I made from a cross of Anne and Polka.

• erect and thornless
    6 years ago

neato hybrid. how's the flavor?

thanks for the info. think I'll be ordering cascade gold based on your experience.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    6 years ago

It's worth trying Cascade Gold, The taste is excellent, low acid for a raspberry too. I have a couple more crosses that have not fruited yet, next year!

• erect and thornless
    6 years ago

cascade gold on order. looking forward to planting, looking forward even more to snarfing. thanks, drew!

• swaine
    6 years ago

From the uk,

anne ( American) is one of the best all round ,

we have a new one from a company called lubera ( Swiss) called 2 time yellow Sugana which is good if you can source it in the states

some yellows that have been in America at some point off the top of my head either bred or imported

yellow/white antwerp ( yellow)

caroline (salmon colour)

brinkles orange ( yellow orange )

Golden queen ( apparently a yellow cuthbert

col wilder ( yellow)

magnum bonum ( yellow)

yellow chilli ( yellow)

mrs ingersoll ( yellow)

mrs wilder ( yellow)

surpasse merveille ( yellow)

merville qautre saison ( yellow)

golden thornless ( yellow)

most are maybe long gone now but worth asking and preserving

I have about 15 named yellows European and U.K. So may not do well in the states

and dozens of yellow and orange experiments

best wishes and good luck stew

• dreamydarlings
    6 years ago

So I'm not sure how old this thread is, but I really need help. I bought a Cascade gold from our local Nursery this summer, it was small about 2 feet so nothing grew. No flowers, no Berries nothing. The last 5 months it's gotten quite big which is great in a pot, big pot. I don't know what to do with it over the winter, am I supposed to cut all the branches down or just pick a few branches I mean I really need detailed help because I know absolutely nothing about this. I can't seem to find any concrete advice on the internet, so pictures even help. It has a good, decent amount of branches and leaves. I'm not really sure if it's going to grow anything next summer, don't know but it will be in full sun. Any help is greatly appreciated as I really, really want it to be productive.

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    6 years ago

ONLY cut out dead canes! If you cut all down then you have no berries, these are floricanes which means berries grow on second year canes. After fruiting the canes die, whatever grew this year is called primocane, only on these new canes berries will from the following year. I would plant in the ground if possible.

• erect and thornless
    6 years ago

ordered a second cascade gold, this one to be planted in a sunnier spot than my first one. not expecting to taste any golden rasps until 2019, but delayed gratification is the name of the game. in the meantime, i get to watch this baby grow day to day. look at all those cute little leaves!

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    6 years ago

Ones you grow Honey Queen you'll get rid of all the other ones...which is Fall Gold for me.

• erect and thornless
    6 years ago

konrad, so many varieties, and too little space & time. but if i ever get a hankering for new yellows, i'll keep your recs in mind—thanks.

that sucker in the picture (two posts above) has gotten bigger and branched, so i cut its root at a depth of about a couple inches and transplanted the sucker into its own cup with acidic soil mixed with worm castings.

my half-year experience with blackberries had me thinking blackberries grew like weeds, but this raspberry seems even more hellbent on spreading itself around!

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    6 years ago

I have both Honey Queen and Cascade Gold, and to me the best is Cascade Gold. It is a very firm large berry, and more a solid yellow than translucent in color. The taste is spectacular. Let them have a tinge of red before harvest. Wow, very unique and excellent flavor. Also excellent before the tinge of red, so that's a plus too. It is not particularly cold hardy, and may struggle in colder zones. It also is a summer bearing type. My second favorite is Kiwi Gold, a sport of Heritage. I also have Anne and Fall Gold, Double Gold too, and a light pink hybrid I bred in a cross of Polka x Anne. I call it Irene.

I want to do a cross of Cascade Gold and Josephine. Josephine is a super large berry with excellent taste. I heard the other Cascade, Cascade Delight is also an excellent raspberry. I want to add it one day. .

I like to grow prelude for processing berries. It has a strong somewhat tart flavor. It produces well, out producing almost anything else. The canes are strong and fast growers. The flavor is great for jams, smoothies, syrup etc. For fresh eating I like Himbo Top. It produces even more than Prelude, the berries are low acid and very good for fresh eating. These two are my work horses, both reliable, and heavy producers with very different flavors.

• Elefth Katsa
    6 years ago

I want cross fall gold with autumn bliss is possible??

• Elefth Katsa
    6 years ago

if yes, raspberries will be pink from seeds?? I have fall gold raspberry ,maling promise giallo (gold) ,autumn bliss,polana,tadmor,tulameen,shoenemann and malina and i want make from them pink colour raspberry with sweet good flavour

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    6 years ago

Yes it is possible, to produce a pink with that cross, although you could get red, or yellow or orange too. I got lucky to get a pink, and it's excellent btw. I grew out 5 seeds, and the pink was way stronger grower than the others so I just kept the pink. I had no idea what color it was when I made that choice. It was such a better grower I wanted it no matter what.

A big problem is learning the techniques to breed rubus species. You have to know how to emasculate flowers, the proper way to collect pollen, how to stratify and scarify seeds. It was 3 years before I could even get a seed to grow. Third time was a charm!

• Elefth Katsa
    6 years ago

could you write me how to make the cross in raspberries and how to grow seedlings. Thanks

• Elefth Katsa
    6 years ago

How to transfer pollen with hand?

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    6 years ago

I just picked up a fall gold as it was the only option in my local market

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    6 years ago

Nothing wrong with Fall Gold, it's not my favorite, but I still like it enough to keep it.

I will slowly go over the process, Collecting pollen is fairly straightforward. Let the flower open and cut the stamens with the pollen on the tips, and let fall into a small glass jar. Collect a lot. Let dry at least 3 days in a dry area of your house. Obtain a camel hair brush used for painting pictures, a large one 1/4 inch of area at the tip or more, or as close to that as possible.

Raspberries, and other brambles are self fertile, so you must remove pollen before the flower opens. Watch the flowers to see how long they take to open. You want to catch it before it opens. The flower pedals comes out of the calyx area, at the base of the closed flower pedal you take a razor blade and cut 360 degrees around. Once you practice a bit you will learn how deep you need to cut. Deep enough to remove base of stamens. So the pedals and stamens fall away, but the ovaries remain. At this point you apply dried pollen with a brush. When pollen is dried it's easier to work with, and is easier to see too. Now cover flower with an organza bag, you know the kind of bags people put gifts in at weddings and other occasions. You can repeat in a day, put more pollen on, cover back up, to make sure bees and other pollen cannot get in. Often you will have partial drupe formation because you didn't get every seed with pollen. That is OK, you will still have plenty of good seeds. Keep the bag on till harvest, it helps let you know which fruit was bred. Bags are translucent, use white bags.

Like these

https://smile.amazon.com/Amariver-Organza-Drawstring-Wedding-Festival/dp/B07427VDH4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516650949&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=organza+bags&psc=1

If you have any questions let me know.

• Elefth Katsa
    6 years ago

Thanks I will try

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    6 years ago

Videos on YouTube may help too. I know I saw some that were good, but don't have any book marked. Their is one on breeding apples that shows the cutting the flowers and collecting pollen. This technique is used for apples and stone fruit too. Which I also have hybrids of, not apples but peaches.

• Elefth Katsa
    6 years ago

The video please

• Elefth Katsa
    6 years ago

finally I found youtube video on Thank you I am very excited I think I can get a hybrid of reuben BlackBerry with raspberry Autumn bliss

• Elefth Katsa
    6 years ago

which nursery can send to Greece seeds of raspberry varieties?

• erect and thornless
    6 years ago

geez louise, this raspberry plant is ferocious! where did all these leaves come from? and having the baby plant grow in a clear plastic cup has given me a front row seat to the suckering show. even in small air pockets below the soil surface, green shoots are forming. when I finally transplant this beast into a much larger container, I'll remove some of those subsurface shoots for propagation.

drew, should i eventually tip cascade gold canes the way blackberries are tipped to promote lateral growth?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    6 years ago

Tipping doesn't work as well as on blackberries, it is more to manage size, and production. A plant can only produce so much sugar. Even limiting number of new canes is OK. I just don't let it grow. I remove weak canes and when more than two canes are in one square foot I may remove the third, depending on overall growth. I still need to do some floricane thinning for next year. Canes should be 6 inches apart, any closer should be thinned, yet at times due to low number I may leave them closer if say the crown only has 3 canes. Leave 5 or 6 canes at most, if you even have than many. More than that strains sugar production, and also other resources, berries will be smaller. That is per crown. As plants sucker more crowns appear.

Anyway to cut to the chase, i do tip them to limit vertical growth, and tie easily if needed. With summer fruiting types I like to remove canes right after fruiting to give more light to the new primocanes as soon as possible. Crowding of floricanes and primocanes is a problem, but comes with the territory, it cannot be helped.

• erect and thornless
    6 years ago

thanks for the pointers, drew.

and now for some visuals, including a repeat for reference. perhaps worm castings had something to do with the impressive growth.

• erect and thornless
    6 years ago

my sprawling cascade gold is now about 18 inches wide. all this growth, and none of it will fruit this summer? i don't mind waiting till 2019, but having fruit this year would be awesome sauce.

random musing: the cultivar "himbo top" brings to mind "kimbo slice." not sure how many gardeners here are also into mixed martial arts :)

• erect and thornless
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

my monster raspberry. the container keeps it from overtaking the planet.

• Jenny Leerskov
    5 years ago

Hi Drew,, is it possible for you so spare me a sucker each of your Kiwi Gold, Anne and Fall Gold for postage? Thanks, Jen

• Kevin Reilly
    5 years ago

Drew is on the growing fruit forum now not sure if he still post here

• Jenny Leerskov
    5 years ago

I don’t know how to get there. Do you? Thanks!

• Kevin Reilly
    5 years ago

Google the term I ment the site ends in .org . Anne and fall gold are common you can order from Indiana berry amo other places

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County