Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Yellow Raspberry?

Posted by lawanddisorder 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 20:27

I want to add a couple yellow raspberries to my backyard container orchard. Any suggestions?

I am leaning towards Fall Gold, Anne and Double Gold.

I am looking for something with sweet flavor, good production and, disease/pest resistance. What are some of your favorites?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Yellow Raspberry?

The ones mentioned are good choices. Both Double Gold and Fall Gold can be hard to establish, but once established do well. None of the three seem super vigorous. Anne is the sweetest. I have not tried Double Gold, mine is a year old, and struggled. It now has 5 canes, but has yet to produce flowers. I may have to settle for next year's summer crop on the canes. Even if they do flower it is getting late in the year. I'm hoping next year they will flower earlier. Anne and Fall Gold seem to be susceptible to sun burn. White drupelets have appeared on berries from burn even though the plants only get an eastern exposure. it has been hot for this time of year though.
Kiwi Gold, Honey Queen, and Cascade Gold (Summer bearing) are very vigorous growers. Mine are in full sun. Planted this year. Only Kiwi Gold has produced fruit so far, and it's very good. It is going to produce a very large first year crop. Impressive plant! It has 40 to 50 berries on it presently. Cascade Gold being a summer bearing raspberry will not produce fruit this year. But the primocanes are the largest of all my raspberries, including black raspberries. Impressive growth! Next year's crop is going to be extremely large! Cascade Gold is a sport of Cascade Delight, an excellent red raspberry.

Anyway, again your choices are good, but they might struggle to make it. Mine all made it, but were not extremely easy to grow. Fall Gold produced about 10 berries it's first year. Now in it's 3rd year it produced over 600 berries in 2 harvests (Summer, and fall). So it certainly was worth pampering when young. Mine are not in pots and it threw suckers 3 feet away from original cane. In a pot, production may be reduced. All I can do is tell you my experience, your mileage may vary. Oh Fall Gold can be tart. I guess if sweet is what you want try Anne first. It seems to be the leading yellow. I certainly like it too! I prefer tart, so like FG better, but Anne is a definite keeper!! Kiwi Gold would be my 2nd choice for sweetness, but good luck finding one. This cultivar has fallen out of favor, not sure why? It's an awesome plant.
Good Luck!
I'll report on Double Gold if the 5 canes ever produce fruit!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 22:43

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 23:08

Anne is very good with large, firm berries. As Drew noted, they are quite sweet. They make good eating, even when picked a tad under-ripe (good when dealing with SWD). The canes are also pretty strong and don't need much (if any) support. It was a bit pickier than my reds in getting established, but shouldn't be that hard to grow.

o

Thanks Bob and Drew.

Drew, you're not kidding about Kiwi Gold being hard to find. I spent about an hour last night looking and came up empty.

o

I planted cascade gold this year and its working on its second crop. Don't really understand that, it's not supposed to act that way! But I'll take it. Its anquite vigoros plant, but not rude! this is the first year so i have a crop of 20-30 berries a plant. A nice flavorful berry too.
Pea

o

I saw a post from 2008 and a guy from England mentioned over 10 golden cultivars, and they are all gone, or never sold here. Including Caroline Gold. I guess Anne and Fall Gold may be more disease resistant, but Kiwi is a stronger grower. It is thriving here. Dark rounded leaves, a beautiful plant. Any posts I have ever seen about people who have it liked it. I think MrsG47 had one?
Mine came from a crappy nursury, American Meadows. the plant was in a box like you would see at Home Depot. In pure Peat, completely dry. white growth, barely alive. The worst condition of any bare root I have ever seen. I really didn't think it would make it. All the white growth died, it looked dead. The florocane it came with looked dead too
Then a few weeks later a cane came from below ground.
Now it has 7-10 canes. Three are huge and bearing fruit.
It is a super strong, you're not going to kill me cultivar. It is a sport of Heritage, found in New Zealand.
American Meadows is currently out of stock.
I have it, so in the future I can send out suckers as bare root to those interested. No charge. But give me some time. it was just planted in April.
Here's a photo of one of the canes, leaf damage from Japanese beetles. You can see a 2nd cane in the background. About 5 feet tall. Photo taken a few minutes ago.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 12:37

o

I purchased a 'Kiwi Gold' about four years ago. It has sent up new shoots everywhere. The berries are ok, but not as sweet or 'honey-like' in taste as 'Fall Gold'. I am looking for a different yellow raspberriy. I do not recommend 'Kiwi Gold'. Mrs. G

o

I really am impressed with Fall Gold... Good sized berries, no bird issues, great flavor... A winner in my book.

o

Thanks for the input! It's hard for me to judge off a few berries on new plants. Fall Gold can be tart if picked early. I tend to pick early. I like them tart and firm. Anne is sweet at this stage, so if looking for sweeter, Anne is it. Ironic Fall Gold was the first berry I grew, and still is near the top. Only the red "Prelude" impressing me more.
I will report on Honey Queen, and Cascade Gold after I harvest a crop. Both are easy to obtain at nurseries. Honey Queen was developed in Canada, so I guess is a hardy beast. Sold at berriesunlimited. Sold out at the moment. Everbearing. No berries yet, but i did taste a few on the florocane bare root. They were good, but like Kiwi, not good over ripe.They turned a gold -red color over ripe, cool looking, some may like them. Hard for me to judge as currants are right up there as tasting good to me. I said raspberries are my fav, but currants really is my fav.
Probably explains why I liked Kiwi, if not that sweet, fits my needs better. You know you add so much sugar when cooking, and I love to cook. Tart works better for me. Although I now can make jam with no sugar at all. The new calcium with citrus pectin needs no sugar to gel.

o

Mrs G,

I guess one can change their mind. You wrote this 2012 01 12...

"Hi, I've grown 'Fall Gold' and they are small. My favorite golden raspberry that I now grow is 'Kiwi Gold'. This yellow raspberry is very sweet, with a taste of honey! Quite yummy. They produce berries on the ends of their canes and mine produced through November in Zone 6-7. Hope this helps. Golden raspberries are not tarter, they are sweeter."

You can find that quote here:

Here is a link that might be useful: gold raspberry bushes

o

Drew, that thread had some interesting comments. I was searching yellow raspberries, not gold raspberries and missed that one.

I ordered an Anne and Double Gold, because I found them at a local nursery. I still want to add Fall Gold, and would be interested in trying Kiwi Gold, but won't be too upset if I don't get it.

Also, Drew, I will definitely take you up on your offer of shipping a rooted sucker. I'd trade with you if you wanted, but depending on the variety you wanted, I would need some time to get one ready.

The following list, plus the Anne and Double Gold Rasps, and a Purple Wonder Strawberry are what I can offer, though, like I said, some varieties will require significant lead time before it would be ready:

Apple , 4-in-1 - Big Red Delicious, Yellowgold Delicious, Mcintosh, Northern Red Spy
Apple , Pixie Crunch
Apricot, Harlayne
Apricot, Sugar Pearls
Blackberry, Apache
Blackberry, Black Satin
Blackberry, Chester Thornless
Blackberry, Hull
Blackberry, Prime-Jan
Blackberry, Prime-Jim
Blackberry, Triple Crown
Blackberry, Unknown Varietal
Blueberry, Bluecrop
Blueberry, Bluegold
Blueberry, Blueray
Blueberry, Chandler
Blueberry, Earliblue
Blueberry, Elliot
Blueberry, Patriot
Blueberry, Pink Lemonade
Boysenberry, Thornless
Cherry, Carmine Jewel
Currant, Black, Unknown Varietal
Currant, Red, Unknown Varietal
Currant, White Imperial
Fig, Brown Turkey
Fig, Chicago Hardy
Fig, Hardy Everbearing
Goji, Sweet Lifeberry
Gooseberry, Unknown Varietal
Grape, Concord
Grape, Concord
Grape, Glenora Seedles - Blue
Grape, Lakemont Seedless - Green
Grape, Reliance Seedless - Purple
Honeyberry, Borealis
Honeyberry, Cinderella
Kiwi, Ananasnaya (Anna) Femal
Kiwi, Arctic Beauty - Female
Kiwi, Arctic Beauty - Male
Kiwi, Chang Bai Female
Kiwi, Issai Hardy
Kiwi, Ken's Red Female
Kiwi, Meader Male
Mulberry, Illinois Everbearing
Nectarine, Mericrest
Nectarine, Yumm Yumm
Pawpaw, Pennsylvania Golden Graft
Pawpaw, Unnamed cultivar
Peach, Flamin' Fury Jumbo
Peach, Flavorcrest
Peach, Redhaven
Pear, 2-in-1 - Bartlett and Red Sensation
Plum, Stanley
Raspberry, Munger's Black
Raspberry, Red Willamette
Raspberry, Royalty Purple
Strawberry, Allstar
Strawberry, Homer's Field
Strawberry, Quinalt
Strawberry, Seqioua
Strawberry, Tribute Everbearer

let me know if anything interests you.

o

Yes, a lot look cool, and I would like, but no biggy, I should have bare root suckers ready this next spring. Just email me your address, and I'll send it along next spring. Include email address to inform you.
Nice list of cultivars! My problem is I'm out of room, and I will be moving in 5 years. So i want to add stuff, but will only be adding a few experimental items to test. Like hardy figs and persimmons, to see how they do. but I want plants not scions. So no worries. I also have little time and I may not add those items. It depends if I can prepare areas. I grow a lot of seeds, so that keeps me busy too. Maybe a rain check? I will be growing some unusal Rubus plants. Some may be worthwhile growing.

o

Drew! You're right I changed my mind. Mrs. G

o

"Drew! You're right I changed my mind. Mrs. G"

Well thanks much for your input. I hope I like them, as it looks to be a nice stong cultivar. Always a plus.

o

I have only anne yellow raspberry so can only give input on the one. I planted 3 bare root anne's last year so did not expect much from it but this year I was highly impressed with the amount of raspberries and their flavor. I do have a question regarding these raspberries. How and when do I prune the canes of these types of raspberries? Thanks.

Dale

o

I have Honey Queen, great production and sweet, not sure if it would do well for you, something to try if you can get it, a local developed fruit.

o

I'm in zone 6 and Honey Queen is growing well, it should work anywhere. No berries yet, but next year for sure.

o

Not huge berries, ..

o

Interesting! So are the red ones super ripe, or do they turn yellow? Most yellows start off white.

o

Yes,..the darker ones are very sweet and need to get picked.

o

You know, now that you say that I did see this on the florocane bare root, as it did fruit for me this year. The primocanes though have no fruit yet. They may be adjusting to the area, and I'll leave them for a summer crop if they do not fruit.
This week Kiwi Gold and Crimson Night for sure will be ripe. Crimson Night produces super dark berries, and the canes are beautiful with a purple steaking over a green base. Using a paint brush I have been pollenating Crimson Night with Fall Gold pollen. I'll harvest the seeds this week and hope to produce an orange berry in a couple years. They are next to each other and the bees have been working both too. Here's a commercial photo of Crimson Night

o

I have had Anne 2 years now and purchased a couple of double gold for trial. Anne has flavorful berries but they are soft and can be prone to mold if you get rain and hot temperatures during harvest, especially the Fall harvest. Mine have grown well and suckered moderately but I may make this a summer crop only due to climate and pest pressure. Birds eat them (at least in my berry patch) and a stink bug infestation ruined the whole Fall crop this year. This variety also has a long production period which means you'll get a small amount of berries every few days for weeks, which sounds nice but it's never enough production for anything but eating out of hand. At least that's been my experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here