Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drgnslayr_gw

What fruit is this?

drgnslayr
10 years ago

I'm new to this forum... so here goes!

I've included a photo of something growing in my garden. I've planted Lebanese cucumbers (Mythas) in this area, but I have something growing which is sweet like a fruit.

There was one of these melons about a month ago, and it was twice this size. I thought it was a big Mytha, so I let it grow and rot on the vine because I was going to save the seeds. As it lay rot, and I went for the seeds, I noticed the interior meat was orange and smelled sweet, like a cantaloupe. It was rotten, so I didn't taste it, but this one I plan to eat.

The skin looks more like a honeydew, but the interior looks something between a cantaloupe and a Mytha.

This is an above ground bed that I've used for several years and never planted melons in that spot or near there.

Can someone tell this newbie what it is?

Comments (8)

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

Looks like one of the "serpent melons" which are actually melons as the name implies, that are eaten like cucumbers...

Don't forget that cucumbers are fruits too of course! I grow the pale green serpent melon variety called "Armenian cucumber" every year, and have definitely noticed the flesh getting sweeter and yellowish towards the end of the season. Maybe someone in the vegetable forum could help pin it down...

• carolync1
    10 years ago

It could be a stray cross between a melon and a cucumber-like melon.

• drgnslayr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for both your replies. I wondered if this is a Mytha but crossed with a sweet melon. This is the first year I grew honeydew and cantaloupe... but they were about 100 ft away from this plant.

Perhaps a hybrid was born?

• drgnslayr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BTW: I do also grow the Armenian cucumbers. They are similar to Lebanese cucumbers but do differ. The Lebanese cucumbers tend to stay straighter and have a little softer taste... not sweet, but a very fresh, clean taste.

The fruit in my picture is much thicker... basically seems to be the shape of what you would think of a hybrid between a round sweet melon and a Mytha.

If that is the case... It should taste really good. I will add photos and a description when I cut and taste this melon.

• carolync1
    10 years ago

I haven't been able to find anything on Mytha cucumbers. Do they look anything like the Lebanese cucumbers below?

If you grew Armenian cucumbers and honeydews, you might have a cross there. We had a neighbor a few years ago who said his family ate immature honeydews as cucumbers. In our hot-summer climate, melons are easier to grow than cucumbers.

Melons are good at cross-pollenizing. To breed OP types true, you really need to isolate by long distances, bloom time or hand pollination.

Another possibility is that you have an F2 hybrid melon there. You can get some awfully unexpected fruit types from F2 hybrid melon seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Khyar Lebanese cucumber

• drgnslayr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"I haven't been able to find anything on Mytha cucumbers. Do they look anything like the Lebanese cucumbers below?"

Similar. I've uploaded a photo of a mytha. I've never seen mytha flower on the top. They do develop yellow flowers along the vine.

The photo I uploaded shows a mytha about 2 days beyond its perfect pick date. As they grow in size, so do the seeds inside. The smaller mytha are preferred because their seeds are so small they go unnoticed when eating. A good-eating mytha should be eaten within a couple days after picking so the taste is fresh and the texture is quite crisp.

• carolync1
    10 years ago

The vine on your Mytha cucumber doesn't look as fuzzy as a typical cucumber. Do you think it's the same species, a melon or something else?

• drgnslayr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

carolync1... it almost seems like mythas are between a traditional cucumber and some kind of melon. The skins are quite nice to eat, no bitterness, and as you can see, quite light in appearance. Similar to the Armenian cucumber, but they don't curl and snake in shape.