Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Concord Grapes

Posted by flower_addict z6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 07 at 21:07

Hello!

Recently, someone has told me that they are wishing to get rid of all of their 5-generations-old Concord grape vines. I know that it would be next to impossible to actually dig up and move these vines; however, I am aware that there is a way to propagate vines via cuttings. Can anyone please share the exact technique to do so? It would be greatly appreciated. I am mostly a flower gardener, but have recently acquired an interest in possibly growing fruits. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Flower_Addict
Kristin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Concord Grapes

I'm not experienced with grapes and there are others who can give you good advice on starting cuttings. However, if the vines you are looking at are similar to many backyard grape vines, they won't have seen as much pruning as is usually recommended and there will be some vines that have fallen on the ground relatively recently. If there are, check these out as they may have taken root and you can just dig up this already started cutting, cutting the vine going back towards the trunk of the grape and shortening the rest of the vine beyond the roots to several buds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here