Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are raspberries fruiting again?

Posted by vickima z5 MA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 07 at 21:08

I planted raspberry canes (varieties Taylor and Prelude, not everbearing) from Nourse Farms in spring 2006. We had a pretty good crop this year, but fruiting ended by early August. Now some of the Prelude canes are fruiting - I didn't think they were supposed to do this. Since I'm new to raspberries this has thrown me for a loop. I was planning to prune out the fruited canes later this fall and thin the row in the spring. Are the canes that are fruiting now done for, so they should be pruned out? I guess these plants don't read the same books I do about how they are supposed to grow!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are raspberries fruiting again?

Sometimes black raspberries fruit a bit on the new canes. I suppose your Preludes are doing the same. Leave those new fruiting canes for next year.

o

Vicki, my Preludes do the same thing. In fact with all the late berries I had forgotten they were not a fall berry and so I cut them to the ground last winter, and they are producing a huge fall crop this year. I used to have some Taylors and they never did that.

Scott

o

Thanks for your comments, which led me to do some more searching specifically on Prelude, and sure enough Scott, you and I are not alone. I even found this from a Nourse Farms newsletter about how to prune this particular variety:

"Because of the increase in popularity of Prelude, we are repeating the discussion on pruning Prelude for the best yields for the summer crop. During the winter or early spring, prune the canes back to about chest height (about 4 feet). This pruning will cause multiple fruiting laterals or additional cane development from the top auxiliary buds. This pruning also removes the primocane wood that produced fruit the fall before and the multiple cane branching that results in increased fruit production for the coming summer crop."

This is neat! I feel like I got a little extra bonus with this variety - and they taste good too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here