Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with chill question

Posted by john222-gg ms./8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 21:11

HI All

6 years before I retired I thought it would be nice to grow some fruit trees.Did not know any thing about fruit trees.I went down to the co-op and bought trees.My peaches are doing terrible come to find out they are high chill required.No body tells beginners about chill hours.My trees are 5 years old now.the question is can I graft low chill cuttings on high chill trees.Still mad the co-op sells high chill in low chill area.We only get 4 to 6 hundred chill hours.I have Red Haven,Hale Haven and Bell of Georgia.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with chill question

Bummer John, sorry to hear that. What you describe is sadly normal practice. But you can use your trees to graft on lower chilling scions. All you need to do is find the scions and make a successful graft, not easy but certainly doable.

o

Just cutt the tree down to the stock and graft a bunch of different low chill variety to it. Might take 2-3 years to look like a tree again but youl get peaches

o

Thanks A Lot

This winter i will buy more trees cut the tops plant the bottoms and keep the wood to graft to old trees.Thanks for the info

o

John, if you're going to buy more trees, then don't cut off the tops of your new trees. Just plant them :-) Once those newer, low chill varieties get going, you can then cut off some dormant wood next winter and start grafting those to your current trees that are not producing for you. Or, you can see if you have friends with lower chill varieties and simply gather some dormant scionwood from them, saving you from having to buy new trees.

Patty S.

o

John get Swanee peach tree if can in zone 8 peaches be ready to eat first June they make before brown rot are worms.

o

Any peach or nectarine with the prefix "sun" in the name such as Sunglo will be a low chill variety. These were bred in Florida for the southeast. They are also more disease resistant. Ask around if someone on the web has a low chill variety they like.

o

• Posted by SoTX 8b/9a (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 6:41

Yep, got some high chill trees myself & only an ugly winter brings those peaches on. Belle of Georgia is worth keeping "just in case", believe me. I order my low chill trees from CA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here