Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Anyone tried "Good Taste" blueberry?

milehighgirl
9 years ago

I was looking at Good Taste blueberry. I have Sunshine Blue, which I got because it can handle less acidic soil. I was able to maintain the pH of my blueberries to 4.5 with pure sphagnum so I'm not as worried now. Good Taste is hardy to zone 5, according to the website.

I want to place an order from Mail Order Natives and they have this cultivar.

Any info?

Here is a link that might be useful: GOOD TASTE Blueberry

Comments (19)

• gator_rider2
    9 years ago

vaccinium corymbosum northern highbush blueberry
    vaccinium corymbosum bluecrop blueberry
    vaccinium corymbosum care
    grow vaccinium corymbosum
    vaccinium corymbosum bluegold
    vaccinium corymbosum chandler
    vaccinium corymbosum northland
    vaccinium corymbosum blue ray
    Maybe some members help pick right Northern high bush.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

I bought a couple of Sweetcrisp from them when they were available and a Hodnett Blueberry,which is what they describe,as small fruit,nothing super though,fairly sweet.
    I'm not sure what the Good Taste is,most likely a Southern Highbush,on account of the business being in Florida.It may be something to try.I'm not totally disappointed with the Hodnett.The price at the time also was $10 for a smaller plant. Brady

• gator_rider2
    9 years ago

The license are back out on sweetcrisp a nursery by here has new license I don't have list of nurseries called nurseryman around August 20th he said just got his license back and what they gave out on Indygocrisp TC plants nursery 70 miles South my location. I laughing ask if come pick up couple Indygocrisp, he said be fall 2015 before have for sale take cutting this coming spring haveto grow until fall 2015 be small plant at that time limited supply and sizes.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess Sunshine Blue is a Southern highbush but it's a dwarf. I doubt I'll get many blueberries from it.

Just Fruits & Exotics has Sweetcrisp.

• MrClint
    9 years ago

'Sunshine Blue' produces well here. It might be my favorite BB, all things considered. I've never seen 'Good Taste' for sale here locally.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mrclint, how big do your bushes get?

• MrClint
    9 years ago

I would consider 'Sunshine Blue' to be semi-dwarf to be honest. Interestingly enough, for me 'Emerald' is not as tall as 'Sunshine Blue' but is much wider with very thick growth. Bear in mind that just like anything else you can prune BB to whatever size you like. I use both topping and thinning cuts, mostly in Winter.

My 'Sunshine Blue' are about 3' x 3' at their widest and tallest points unpruned. Just took this pic a few minutes ago:

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

milehighgirl,
    I just took this picture today of one of my Sunshine Blues.Even though somewhat smaller than most other Highbush,they can produce a lot of fruit. Brady

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brady,

What do you mean today? Gosh, it's loaded! I thought blueberries ripened a lot earlier in the year. You make me very happy. Thanks for sharing.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Yeah,all my other Blueberry plants are done.The Sunshine Blue hang in there a long time. Brady

• MrClint
    9 years ago

Nice plant, Brady! 'Sunshine Blue' is a keeper. Can't recommend it highly enough. Other cultivars are highly touted here-- that are much harder to find, but SS is really a winner.

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    9 years ago

What a nice Blueberry Brady; what size container is that?

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

BahamaDan,

Thanks,it's about a three gallon. Brady

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

It's amazing how small the containers are. They do produce well for small plants. a regular Northern or rabbiteye once mature should produce 20 pounds per plant. About 250 berries per pound. For my area Northern's are best. Rabbiteye are better producers, but it is possible to get 20 pounds off a Northern like blueray.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I don't have Blueray but do grow Liberty which can get to 8 feet tall.

9 years ago

Thanks Brady; what's your cultivation regime? And that's an incredible amount of fruit Drew.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Yeah it takes about 7 years, and most I think produce about 10 pounds. that probably is a more realistic amount, still I'll take 10 pounds!

8 years ago

Ok cool, that seems like a lot of nitrogen. I'll try to start fertilizing more regularly

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?